Thursday, September 17, 2020

Bagley Lakes in the smoke

 

Terry, Dianne, Melanie (and me behind the camera)
I am trying to write this post without having the option of returning to the Legacy version, so excuse me if I don't get this quite right. The four of us drove up to Heather Meadows in the wilderness area, because we thought the air quality would be better up high. But nope: as you can see in this picture, we had very little view of anything but mountains shrouded in smoke. Although the air was better for breathing, it sure wasn't much better for views.

Bagley Lakes

As you can see, as we walked around the lakes, our view was not great, but the weather seemed warm and we had strong filtered sunlight. We kept thinking it would be getting better, but it never did. We had planned to hike to Ptarmigan Ridge, but when we saw that we would be robbed of a view, we chose this short but lovely hike around the lakes.
Melanie in a great shirt

By the time it warmed up a bit, or after we had been walking awhile, Mel showed us her message shirt: "Hope isn't canceled." The stone bridge is under her feet, and we decided in order to make the hike a bit longer to start up the trail towards Hermann Saddle. We had no intention of getting there, but turned around after a short while and having eaten lots and lots of blueberries (they are ripe and perfect).
Terry, Dianne, me (Mel's picture)

I wanted to add a picture that included me, so you can see that I was really there, too. It was nice to have nowhere special to go, just being outside in the beautiful outdoors, even with the haze. There were still plenty of flowers for us to enjoy, and the weather was comfortable.
A myriad of flowers still in bloom

As I said, we picked lots of blueberries, and somehow or other when I took this picture of Dianne, it turned into a B&W portrait. I don't know how it happened, but I sort of like the looks of it.
The best ones are always just out of reach

Dianne was the best spotter of blueberry patches and found some for us to munch on to our heart's content. The bushes are just beginning to turn red. The berries were so good that it was almost worth the drive just for them!
Another view of nature's garden

We truly enjoyed our short but beautiful walk in the wilderness, and after a couple of hours, we decided to head up to the top of the highway, Artist's Point, just to see if by some chance the air quality was better there.
Visitor's Center on the way to the Point

No, it was no better. As you can see from this picture I took from the car while Melanie was driving, it's not any more clear, but we kept on going until we parked at Artist's Point.
App on Melanie's phone

Melanie has a cool app on her phone that shows you the name of the mountains you are looking at. Or at least would be, if you could see them at all. It was fun to see just what we were missing out on. But all in all, it was a good day, even if we hardly covered enough steps for me to get my daily quota. I can't complain too loudly, though, as I am glad we went, and glad for the great company as well.
:-)

21 comments:

  1. That's wonderful that you got out and enjoyed the sights and some (hopefully) fresh air. I'm planning to get back to outdoor exercise Saturday. I don't think I've ever wished harder for a September rainstorm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best part is being out there with friends. What a surprise to see so much smoke even up there in the mountains. I've never had wild blueberries. I would love to have that experience.

    We watched The Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Society last night. I hope that's the correct title. It was great! Thank you for recommending it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE that t-shirt - something we all need to remember.
    Big sigh at the smoke. I am very happy that you got out anyway -with great company and blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blueberries sound divine! ( I was thinking bears!) Glad you got out for a hike and hope you get clear skies soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds perfect but for the smoke. I pray the fires are under control soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The smoke rises thousands of feet so good luck trying to get away from the smoke. We have smoke out here from the fires.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...smoke & all, I agree, it's still beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was hazy from the smoke in south central Pennsylvania. Blocked out the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am surprised that you ventured out in the haze, but you didn't seem to be affected.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Guess you can't out height smoke. Love that shirt--great message.
    I am reading The Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Pie Society and really enjoying it plus am learning. Did not know that part of the country had been occupied by the Germans for 5 years. Still the humor and fun characters are refreshing. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cannot imagine how you stayed out and exerted yourself in that smoke. I go out to water the yards or feed the critters and my chest is hurting by the time I come back in the house. Terry spent about 15 minutes out weeding on Thursday, a day with much less smoke, but that was all he could take.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was out on the golf course the other day, and we all looked up and noticed the sun looking kind of fuzzy behind a layer of haze. Yep. Smoke from the West Coast, all the way here in eastern PA.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Even with the smoke, quite a day to be out on a hike.

    Legacy blogger's gone now, and I've had to write posts with the new format. I don't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear DJan, so glad that you are getting to walk/hike again and also that you are with friends. I know from your posting, which have truly been reflective of how the pandemic has affected your life, that you've sorely missed these hikes and your friends. Such good news to read this today. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice photos of all of you. Sorry the air was so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm surprised you gals were out walking in the smoky haze, but it looks like you had a great time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have such a wonderful places to go hiking!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's great to be outdoors even when it's hazy. You hike with friends, I do the same on a bicycle.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, that sounds like a perfect hike. Not too long or strenuous. And still so many flowers to add to the beautiful scenery. The smoke didn't spoil the close up beauty.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.