Thursday, September 10, 2020

Chanterelle and smoke

 

Air quality not so great

Today we didn't know how the air would be in the mountains, so we decided to stay close to home. We decided to hike an old favorite, the Chanterelle trail near Lake Whatcom, You can see it in the above picture, taken from the overlook at the top of our 2.5-mile hike. We do have some air degradation, but it's nothing compared to the air south of us. San Francisco looks terrifying, as the entire state of California is on fire. Once the direction of the wind changes, we will be getting more smoke, and possibly really unhealthy conditions. So, for now, I'm counting our blessings.

Our hiking group today

It was Dianne (with her dog Joe), Chris ( and his delightful dog Boo), Melanie, and me. This was our turnaround point before heading back down the way we had come. It was warm but not terribly hot, and much of our trail is shaded.

Boo and Joe

These dogs are wonderful. They are both extremely well behaved, and spent time both on and off leash. I am such a fan of dogs like these, who mind and even sit when  asked to pose for a picture. You can see how dry the grass is, and I've never seen this trail so dry. There were few places that were worthy of pictures.

Dry with leaves beginning to fall

Our trail is lovely, even if not a very long hike. We gain about a thousand feet within that 2.5-mile trek, and if we wanted to continue up to the terminus, another 2.5 miles and another thousand feet, we could have. But instead we decided to head back and take a short trip over to the lake on the Hertz trail before heading home. We logged maybe six miles total, and enjoyed not only a wonderful morning's hike, but also wonderful company the entire way.

:-)

16 comments:

  1. Sweet doggies! I bet they enjoy YOUR company as well. Ya, those California fires are playing air quality havoc for my sister on the western slope of colorado too (she can't even see the mountain range outside her window.

    As always, enjoyed your hike (yes, sadly, that does look dry!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you could get out in such excellent company. and hope (fervently) that the fires can be controlled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so beautifu! I must be ready to come back to Washington.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You seem to have shifted gears in hiking and are happy about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you got in another good hike. Air quality will degrade dramatically here tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great day spent with friends and dogs...dogs can really make a day much better! A good hike for you...Hi to your Guy too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Walks with dogs are my favourite especially when you can let them off lead.

    The situation in California is terrifying. The message about the climate is clear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad I don't live in California. It seems that there is a wildfire every year without fail over there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you got out hiking with friends...and dogs! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it is so cool that your group includes dogs. They have to add to your enjoyment as they explore. So glad you are not effected by the fires though that underbrush sure looks dry. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our air quality here in CO was bad last week, the smell of smoke in the air. I had to stay inside a couple days. That's a lot of elevation gain - you had great exercise. Looks dry there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen a satellite view of California today. Yikes.

    The doggies are cuties.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope your air quality stays reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's wonderful that you got out before getting the smoke. We're socked in in Puyallup, and I'm staying in my house, with a walk at the Mall thrown in for some exercise. The scenery there isn't very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ps...thinking about you and the horrific smoke pollution...stay indoors, be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like your attitude which I'm trying to keep myself: So, for now, I'm counting our blessings.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.