Monday, July 13, 2020

Our new normal

John at our "table"
This little spot outside the coffee shop where we have been hanging out for years is our new meeting place in the mornings, when there's some sunshine, anyway. That is my lawn chair in front, with my sweatshirt that I wear to keep warm during these cool summer mornings. You can see how early it is by the length of the shadows. John is busy calling Gene to see if he will join us (he did, for a short one while he grabbed some coffee). Our coffee shop will not be having sit-down inside dining any time soon.
Even "Pipe Man" is masked
While I was on a walk yesterday, I saw this funny plastic pipe figure, and then I noticed that it is also wearing a mask. So many people here are doing the same. Our governor has asked us to help get this virus under control by wearing a mask whenever we leave our homes.
Beginning June 26, every Washingtonian in an indoor public space, or in an outside public space when unable to physically distance from others, will be legally required to wear a face covering.
 There is a curious visitor to my front porch: this handsome fellow who has decided this is his chair. I don't know where he lives, or if he's a stray, but he certainly seems to be well fed. He's what is called a "tuxedo" cat because of his coloring.
*snore*
For whatever reason, he seems to spend at least a little time here in this spot every day. My next-door neighbor thinks he is a feral cat, but he just doesn't act like it. He seems quite comfortable with people. I tried to feed him once, but he wasn't interested, so I haven't tried again. Once, he slipped inside while the back door was open, so I picked him up (he's heavy!) and placed him back outside. He meows to say hello, but that is the extent of his conversations with me. I feel a little like I've been "adopted." Maybe along with many of the other apartment dwellers.

We've got the fabled perfect weather going on right now. It only lasts for a few short weeks in summer, but when it's here, I am in heaven. Lots of sunshine, cool nights and days in the high sixties and low-to-medium seventies (20-25°C). Hope you are keeping comfortable, too!
:-)

20 comments:

  1. Your climate right now is just like ours. It's a joy to be outside. That kitty is too well-padded and too friendly to be feral! I think it likes that soft cushion for a nap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does seem like perfect weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don’t think he’s feral if he allows you to pick him up... more than likely lives in the area and visits around... or is an abandoned house cat. You could very well be his chosen home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's fun to have a borrowed cat. One of mine spent some time with me today. I appreciated her visit.
    I like the masked pipe man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter lives in Seattle and also loves the weather with all of its fruits, flowers, and beauty. She doesn't seem to miss Hawaii - but that is what being in love and married to her Seattle man will do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Feed the cat something he/she can't resist. Lure with catnip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the best time of year in the Pacific Northwest. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is just as well the weather is pleasant enough to sit outside these days, as I cannot see any sign of my previous life being restored any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you were able to pick up Captain Tuxedo he certainly isn't feral.
    Stay well, stay safe.
    And thank you for the beauties you shae.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe he likes that special spot for the warm sunshine! He's mighty handsome. Your new gathering spot for coffee works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe he likes that special spot for the warm sunshine! He's mighty handsome. Your new gathering spot for coffee works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The weather you describe is my perfect summer weather too.

    It’s good you can still visit with the coffee shop friends. It must be good to see and speak to them though at a distance.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not feral. Could be abandoned, but someone had recently fed him if he refused food. Could be owners who let their cats roam. But definitely not feral. Looks like a sweet cat.
    Love the masked pipe man! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad you have found a way to meet with your coffee guys. Know you missed that.
    Could be that cat's owner got sick or moved. Someone is feeding him and he really is a handsome fella. Maybe he is like Linda Reeder's Charlie who has a perfectly good owner. He just likes to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would call your temperature range COLD. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad you're enjoying summer!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have been adopted by that kitty cat...what is his name...or her name. Looks like a Handsome fellow to me! It is good that you got to see John and Gene how are they doing?? Tell them Hi!
    Nice day here today upper 70's:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. He looks in too good a shape to be a stray, so he must just make his rounds during the day and pops in for a doze.

    ReplyDelete
  19. He a well-fed cat, so I doubt he's a stray. I love indoor coffee klatches but I'm afraid they're gone for quite a while. I make do with car coffee dates. (drive through then sit in our respective cars and chat in the parking lot) I'm learning to adapt, which is hard to do at my age!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a terrific idea to be able to socialize and still social distance safely.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.