Thursday, July 16, 2020

A gentle morning walk

Pileated woodpecker having breakfast
Melanie and I decided to have a short walk this morning, along the Interurban trail, since she had made plans to have lunch with friends, it being her birthday and all. For once, I decided to let her be the one to determine today's excursion, from the possibility of driving south to one of her favorite hikes, or whatever she desired. When we started, we heard this fellow making quite a racket, pounding away as he made dozens of holes in this snag, looking for breakfast. He didn't fly away while we snapped lots of pictures.
Unidentified plant
We saw this lovely flowering plant by the side of the trail, new to both of us. I'm sure someone can identify it, since we couldn't. It looks similar to a lilac, but has no smell and a different leaf. It's pretty, though, and Melanie's favorite color. We also saw a couple of eagles swooping quite low overhead, probably just wanting to say happy birthday to Mel (that's what I told her, anyway).
Bellingham Bay
At one point, we had a good view of the bay, and it was a bit surprising to see all the whitecaps, since we were in the trees and insulated from the wind. The weather was overcast for the entire morning, but by the time we finished around noon, it had begun to clear and the wind had died down over the bay.
Ferns galore
The view along the gentle trail is quite lush and verdant at this time of the year, with so many ferns at this point I had to show them to you. I love the different shades of green.
Our turnaround spot
We got to this point, where the Larrabee state park lands begin, and turned around to head back the way we had come. It was almost exactly three miles in each direction, giving us a nice six-mile jaunt, almost completely flat with only one little dip to descend and climb back up. Nothing, really, to speak of.

Next week we'll be doing something a bit more challenging, Mel promises me, but I did very much enjoy a lovely walk on the Interurban trail with her on her birthday. And now it's time to return to my book (I'm reading Mary Trump's memoir).
:-)

16 comments:

  1. It looks like a truly lovely walk.
    I suspect that your mystery plant is a buddleia (but could be wrong).
    Happy birthday to Mel - and please let us know what you think of Mary Trump's book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the green too! With near level hiking you're not tearing ligaments h tendons ... And less likely to tripĆ¾fall. A smart move. Happy birthday to your friend.

    Now, you're the 2nd one to blog about the pileated woodpecker today. I've traveled near & far to find one, and to this day I've come home without spotting them. Green with envy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Verdant indeed. Ferns are such beautiful plants, filling the underbrush with glorious shades and textures. That trail was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really looking forward to a few reports from you on Mary Trumps book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I guess Butterfly Bush or Buddelia also:) You had a nice walk!! Happy Birthday to Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those pileated woodpeckers. I always thought that "Woody" was created by their image.
    Happy Birthday Mel. You had a lovely start to it.
    Can't wait to hear what you think of Mary Trump's book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't been able to bring myself to read any of the Trump books. Good luck with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice walk and good company. Happy birthday to Mel. Aloha from Hawaii. David and I watched Mary Trump's interview on the Rachel Maddow show. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice bird, nice bay, nice birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday to Melanie! Looks lush indeed.
    I am reading that, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice of you to let the birthday girl choose the hike. Hope she made her lunch in time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a beautiful trail. I'm surprised the Buddelia (butterfly bush) had no fragrance. The cultivated varieties are highly fragrant.
    Do tell us what you think of Mary's book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How wonderful that you can still go on lovely walks. I clicked on your photo of the bay to enlarge it – so beautiful, it’s eye candy for me since I have been cooped up in the house for so long. The virus is raging here in Nashville and of course the governor does not want to mandate masks so I rarely see someone wearing one going by my house. I don’t venture out, just early in the mornings to water my new trees but it gets hot pretty soon – 94 F in the shade today with high humidity, so staying inside is both safer and cooler (and I can continue reading Mary’s book too.) That bay is magnificent DJan.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How wonderful that you were able to do some healthy forest bathing!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.