Saturday, August 4, 2018

Summertime smiles

Garden sunflower
Boy, is that ever a happy sunflower, sitting there glowing in the sunshine and making me smile, for sure. Rob used some guidewires to keep her upright and she's a-growing like there's no tomorrow. And will you look at the beautiful blue sky. It's not quite 70°F outside, on the way up to maybe 75. Perfect as it can be. We ladies had a nice five-mile walk in Fairhaven, a campus loop that is one of my favorites.
My new backpack
Cathy sent me a bunch of pictures that she took on our hike last Thursday, and I love this one of me looking up the valley on our way to the pass. My new backpack is a Gregory Jade 28, the first I've purchased by that company. I was impressed with the lumbar support in the waist belt, and the way it fits like a glove. I added a hydration pack, and the only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't have a separate zipper compartment for it. I pretty much have to empty out the main container and maneuver the filled hydration pack down inside before adding back all the other stuff I want to carry. Otherwise, I love it and am glad it comes in my favorite color!

I found this lovely quote online and wanted to share it with you:
The first week of August hangs at the very top of summer, the top of the live-long year, like the highest seat of a Ferris wheel when it pauses in its turning. The weeks that come before are only a climb from balmy spring, and those that follow a drop to the chill of autumn, but the first week of August is motionless, and hot. It is curiously silent, too, with blank white dawns and glaring noons, and sunsets smeared with too much color. ― Natalie Babbitt from Tuck Everlasting
And with that, I do hope the first week of August is a good one for you, as well as for me and my loved ones.
:-)

15 comments:

  1. Love that smiling sunflower, your stylish backpack and that quote. Have a most excellent week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From my experience you can never get the perfect back pack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sunflowers are reaching for the blue sky too, with stalks reinforced with stakes they have far outgrown.
    I got that August feeling today, a slow day after some busier days of summer activity. It is a feeling that says, "Sit down, slow down, sigh and soak in sunny days, golden air, goodies in the garden. You have all the time in the world, at least for now." The lazy, hazy, crazy daze of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is raining here this morning, a welcome respite from the glaring sun the last number of weeks. Your temperature sounds perfect!

    I love that photo of you on the trail with that beautiful vista before you. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always amazed that what ever gear you add always comes in your favorite color. Sorry it is a bit hard with the hydration system but it sure looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful sunflower and back pack. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So far August has been a bit more tolerable (weather-wise)...I too love purple (my 2nd favorite is evergreen)....yours?

    Love both the picture of the sunflower & you on the trail.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy sunflower and happy you with your new backpack! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am going to try to remember to check out this blog, DJan. The photos are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That IS a happy sunflower! Nice new backpack — love the colour!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is such a beautiful quote, DJan. I had to read it to my granddaughter. Very moving. The sunflower is certainly happy too!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.