Tuesday, August 22, 2017

The eclipse from Bellingham

Mary showing the eclipse
I left my exercise class a little early so I could walk around and see what was happening around town during the eclipse. I knew we would get 88% coverage, but what really amazed me the most is how bright is still was with so much of the sun covered. The picture above is about ten minutes away from our maximum, but you can see that it never got all that dark. Mary is using a pair of binoculars with one lens covered and transmitting the image onto a light-colored sheet.
Lovely crescent shadows
As I walked towards the coffee shop, I saw these pretty crescent shapes which show that the sun is very close to what we would see at maximum coverage for us. To me it was the best part of the show. That, and all the people outside enjoying looking at the sun through their special glasses.
From Time Magazine sometime in the 1960s
It sure beats the way schoolchildren used boxes in the old days to view the eclipse. I notice that the teacher or administrator is doing just what President Trump did yesterday: looking at the eclipse without using anything at all. My retinas are damaged enough, I was happy just to look at the shadows.
:-)

15 comments:

  1. It was an amazing thing to see even on TV!

    We just had 70% eclipse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had 99.3% totality here in Portland. I took a break from work and went outside to watch. A truly amazing experience! It got dark, the street lights came on, and a cold wind blew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really was an awesome day yesterday. So much excitement with the country coming together for one event.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea with the binoculars. Love the second photo. Natural and special! Great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will hafta remember that about the lens covering and binoculars. Never heard of this, and love the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had 94% here. It didn't get dark but the strangest was the cool down from 96 degrees to a comfy 86. Ahh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our percentage was in the high 90's but with the rain and clouds we couldn't see it or notice a big difference in the light - but we did note the lights in the parking lot come on. We watched online and it was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The crescent shadows were amazing. And the binocular idea brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like you I was surprised how light it was. It was barely noticeable .We were at 80%.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We didn't get much of an eclipse here in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are neat pictures of the shadows!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think now I regret not making it a social event. And we missed the shadows. But ti was still very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was fascinated by the crescent shapes in the shadows coming through the trees. Took way, way too many photos. Tried a colander first. Been fun to see all the ways people observed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear DJan, total solar here. But never totally dark. Still it was awe-inspiring. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  15. All those crescents! And that old photo of the kids...

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.