Saturday, August 5, 2017

Lazy hazy Saturday

The beans are coming, the beans are coming!
Look at the scarlet runner beans: the beautiful scarlet flowers are turning into beans. I have to smile and pat myself on the back, since these beans are the product of beans planted by me in starter packets, and I didn't even know where the bean pods would show up, until I saw them. This neophyte gardener, even those with five years of planting under her belt, is still surprised every time she gets food from her efforts. And the scarlet runner beans are so pretty, too!

This morning we ladies walked around five miles in cool, breezy weather, with haze from the forest fires in British Columbia cutting the full effects of the sun. Our walk was lovely, and Lily stopped several times to pick blackberries, which are beginning to ripen and attract passersby. See?
Lily's blackberry haul
We ate so many of them; it was hard to stop because every once in awhile there would be one so delicious that you wanted another. Some are a little tart, but they are all simply delightful, not to mention FREE! And now I'm home thinking I should soon be getting hungry again. Life is good on this lazy, hazy Saturday.
:-)

18 comments:

  1. Mmmm blackberries. As children we went blackberrying often. And sometimes enough made it home for pies and jams. Sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden is looking amazing.

    Yummy blackberries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think gardeners are perpetual learners because every year you learn something.

    I'm glad you enjoyed the blackberries...I just hope they quit showing up in my flower bed some time soon! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I put in scarlet runner beans every year and string them up the side of the house. The pods and beans are huge.I've never checked to see if they are edible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love blackberries! We're seeing ripe ones along the roadsides too. Lots of smoke in Portland from wildfires both in BC and here in Oregon. Feels like our entire state is burning up right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm afraid we'll be in Greece throughout blackberry season. Such a loss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would pick a bunch of those berries, they are $4 a pint here:(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Garden is looking great! Load up on the berries while you can. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It took a hard look with my vision to find the green bean amongst the green leaves. Yup learning is fun. We eat blackberries all year round as we get them shipped from across the globe. We also use blueberries and raspberries a lot. The health benefits make us do it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gee, I'd grow those runners for the blossoms. So pretty.
    Enjoy those berries and thankfully you don't have to fight the bears for them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty beans and yummy berries. You've gotta love August, smokey air and all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very colorful and beautiful. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear DJan, blackberries are prolific here in Missouri and so blackberry cobbler is a favorite of mine and of many others. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to go foraging for blackberries. oh, they can be so good! We still forage in the city for black raspberries. And of course, our back yard red ones are prolific. Now, it is blueberry season here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh those look yummy. Here we pick wild "blackcap" which are really raspberries. Also very good...:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wrote a comment for this post ... an "introductory kind of comment"... but it does not show here. Would not be surprised if I forgot to click on "publish" : )

    Greetings.


    This is my second visit to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never had blackberries, but now you've made me very curious. I need to go find some.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.