Saturday, January 28, 2012

Wrapping up a great week

Tasty treats (behind us), Linny, Christy, me
I got my first call of the year from Linny yesterday. When she gets a chance to get out of Seattle and make a skydive or seven, she calls me, one of her group of fun jumpers, and lets me know she will be at the Drop Zone in Snohomish. She then asks if I want to join her. She called and left a message while I was in my exercise class yesterday, and I immediately called her back and left a message that I would be there today. It's been three months since I made my last jump, and we were all hoping to get our "knees in the breeze" and get ourselves feeling current. Skydiving is not the sort of thing you take lightly, and I was truly hoping we could get a January skydive together to begin to feel better about our abilities. But wind and low clouds kept us from making a jump, although many of our friends did, both out of the Cessna 182 and the Caravan. We kept waiting for conditions to improve and then decided to make the jump together another day. Here's a picture of us (along with Cindy and Dave, who were not there today) getting ready to make a jump last summer.
Me, Linny, Hank, Christy, Dave, and Cindy
Hank showed up today, hoping also that he might make a jump, but we oldsters were simply not in the mood to brave the elements. On my first jump after a layoff, I really like the weather to be sunny and benign. Today it wasn't. It was very "iffy." Hank was the first to leave, and by 1:45 the rest of us called it a day.

But about the title of the post: it was a wonderful week, and the time I spent at Skydive Snohomish with my dear friends was a great way to end it. Although I missed the Saturday Fairhaven walkers' outing, I drove 75 miles south to the Drop Zone and enjoyed feeling the ambience of my skydiving hangout. I am no longer in the place where I cannot imagine going to the DZ and not making a jump. Today it was really okay not to, since the day was spent dipping my psyche into my summer activity and anticipating the future.

This past Tuesday I enjoyed my two-hour workout, catching the bus three-quarters of a mile away and getting to town an hour earlier than usual, and Wednesday I swam a quarter mile after class. Thursday was the great more-than-ten-mile hike in the Chuckanuts, and yesterday I got my every-third-week massage after class. It made me realize how fortunate I am to have the schedule I have, one that I created out of my own needs, not one that I schedule around the need to make a living. I am retired. And I am grateful for every single bit of enjoyment I squeeze from each day. I hope, truly, that your life is fulfilling your own needs, too. It's only right!
:-)

32 comments:

  1. Skydiving too!?!?! I don't think I knew that. Wow. I'm not brave enough to ever give that a try but it looks like a blast! I hope the weather conditions allow you to take off soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever known anyone who was having so much fun they couldn't get it all done in a week but you're it. I'm sure you wake up every morning bright eyed and bushy tailed. Good luck with this season's skydiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent healthy life style. To have this you have to work hard at it. You could charge for being an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the big smiles. And I am really happy that you had a great week and have a wonderful life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, DJan, you put me to shame. You are so active - both physically and mentally -- that I wish I could do the same. I did do some walking today --- 3 parking lots, 1 bank, and 2 stores. Lol. Yep, that was my exercise. In addition to that, I read my Kindle. Tomorrow: more sitting at the opera, but then I get to vacuum the house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got my exercise the last three day working in the yard. While this may not look like fun to most, I really do enjoy getting out and working hard as long as it isn't raining.
    It's too bad you didn't 'get the call' to go sky diving on Friday. It was so clear and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does sound like you had a very busy but fun week DJan. Sorry to hear the weather didn't cooperate today but hanging out with friends is always good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You never cease to amaze me, DJan! But, I am pleased that you were wise enough to not take chances with iffy weather! You are so brave, I don't think it would have surprised me if you HAD jumped! You probably would have landed just swell!

    I hate to be repetitive, but I hope my retirement is half as fun as yours is! I would be a happy gal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What total fun! I always wanted to skydive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice..you know just being around them and dipping that toe into a bit of summer is not a bad thing at all...i am ready...if we are not getting snow i want the warmth back...

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's funny - I always thought that retirement meant having no schedule, but what you've made me realize is that it's not the schedule I want to retire from, but the one based on working. Having a schedule based on my own needs is an intriguing idea, and one I hope to build and refine based on what I WANT to do. Once again you've given me food for thought. Not empty calories, but really nutritious stuff. Thank-you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are wise not to jump if the conditions are unsuitable! You know how I feel about that anyway. For myself, I need to take some swimming exercise and fully expect to do that when I get back to England later in the week. Over here, you have to pay for a full few weeks to go swimming or join a club or whatever, but over there I can just go to the pool when I feel like it and pay for one session or many, just as I choose. It's much cheaper that way and if I miss a week, it doesn't matter.
    I have other decisions to make soon too, like whether to get my hair cut or not.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My gosh, you and your friends sure do know how to live the life of excitement. To sky dive...whoa. What a concept.

    Always enjoy visiting with you. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are just FUN!! I'd love to take a jump! My husband used to, but he hasn't done it since we've been married!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm the one over here with my lower jaw resting on my chest in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You really do have a life that is perfect for you! Just perfect! I am so glad that you share it with us, Djan. :):)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It certainly sounds like a great week. You have so much courage to try skydiving. Never would I attempt it even in good weather. It's that falling thing that puts me off. I just can't connect the dots of jumping out of a plane.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are very fortunate indeed to have such great friends and interests that you enjoy. Hopefully it won't be long before you are again soaring in the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your the poster lady for living long and prospering!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so inspired by your commitment to life, your embracing of it full-on, and the quiet joy that radiates from each of your posts. I like your willingness to try, and your ability to not let disappointment rob you of the gifts the day had to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Indeed.

    What a jolly group.

    Schedules are for the birds!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  22. I remember you saying you were doing your last jump. But obviously not the last forever jump. Happy flying!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi DJan, A visit with good friends is always nice..even if you all didn't get your knees in the breeze. You are always so busy..and following your own schedule..as you should be this time in your life..and enjoying every minute...you deserve it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear DJan,
    Being retired is so w.o.n.d.e.r.f.u.l.....
    You exercise in so many ways. I write and read. But you have inspired me to get out and use my body.

    So last week I started walking around a parking lot. For four days, I made just one loop. Today, I'll go and try for two loops. Thank you for writing about your routine, it's catapulting me back into listening to my body say, "Get out there and move!"

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I so admire your commitment to exercise. When I get home from Ecuador I'm going to recommit myself. While there, we'll do a lot of walking to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh yes! It is wonderful to be retired. The greatest thing is you're using your time to its fullest. You're my role model, DJan! I'll never jump higher than my bed though.

    ReplyDelete
  27. No wonder you look so good and sound great too. You have an interesting life and lots of ways that you get exercise.

    For me, walking is the main exercise and some yoga weekly too. My yoga instructor is talking to me about a second class on Mondays so I may add the extra yoga class to my schedule. I am getting so busy though that I am not reading as much. I, who joined the book club! Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such a life you have, my friend...

    Green with envy!

    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi DJan
    What a nice surprise today as I opened my Blog and found you had joined my fellow followers. Now, you are in my pack :) Thank you so much.
    I so enjoy reading about your adventures and daily life and would like to say to YOU - Thank you for that. I thought I was a busy bee, however; I think you might just outmatch me by a margin or four. ha,ha
    The way I figure LIFE, is that we are going to ALL stop somewhere, so why not make the best of every day. I'm lovin' n livin' every day.
    Take care DJan and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  30. You are one active lady! Bless you! I am hardly able to keep going with blogging and that's a sit down thing! I really ought to try harder to be more active but I keep holding back. Noy sure why.. Must do more....

    ReplyDelete
  31. You've made yourself a GREAT schedule, it's wonderful to read about you enjoying it so much! :o)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.