Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Snowy owls and camera fun

Photo by Fredrick Sears
The Whatcom birding group sends around pictures and information about local birding, and members have been capturing pictures of the rare influx of snowy owls that has been going on in this area during the fall and winter. I found an article in the Seattle Times about this phenomenon that only occurs once in a great while. The article tells me they will be around here until March, when they will return to the Arctic for the breeding season. I have been enjoying seeing the wonderful pictures pour in of these magnificent birds. On January 8, Fredrick said about this picture:
Still several owls and fair number of birders on Salt Spring Road (bear left going in to Sandy Point).  Owls were vocalizing a bit at eagles apparently. Enjoy.
They are so beautiful! And I don't even have to leave my home and go looking for them; I've received at least a half dozen really beautiful pictures. I have also been traveling around at various times and places and taking pictures with my new camera. Sometimes they turn out well, and sometimes, well... I need to find the right settings. This one was taken right at sunrise after I got off the bus.
I was hoping to find a setting that would capture the color in the sky, which this did, although it was much more vivid just before I started fiddling with the settings. I figured I'd better just go ahead and snap a picture. The bus station is on the left in the dark, but lightening it up enough to see detail there washed out the sky. Before heading to the coffee shop, I tried out a camera setting that is supposed to capture vivid color and is called "foliage." I looked up at a nearby tree and took this one of the leaves and berries, and it does seem to be more vivid. I'll have plenty of chances to use this particular setting, I suspect.
It makes me excited to find out all the things my new camera will do for me. It's also got a fish-eye setting and a wide angle setting. Those, plus the macro feature on this camera, are still to be tried. The good part is that things in my part of the world are beginning to settle down, back to normal.

Last thing: my Social Security showed up in my new bank account this morning, so I decided to go ahead and order myself a new iPad! A friend sent me a link with information about the iPad3 that is likely to be coming out in the spring or summer, but the new features are not anything I'm really interested in (faster processor, better camera). I was so happy with the iPad2, and I still miss it more than anything else. Soon I will be enjoying it once again. I'm smiling right now and feeling a lot of gratitude.
:-)

28 comments:

  1. You are in a fantastic mood, DJan. I am glad your camera has so many great settings; mine doesn't, being an Elph. Have fun with the iPAD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also happy that you are in a better place. And LOVE those Snowy Owls, thank you for adding their picture. The sunrise and the tree both look good as well.

    Happy exploring with your camera and your iPAD (which I have not yet tried).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're replacing your iPad2. Now that I have one, I'm spending all my spare time playing with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, you photography people. I'm a total point and shoot person. I really like the camera on my new iPhone. That's as much progress as I'm willing to make.

    I would miss my iPad something awful if it went away. I'm glad you're getting a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still discovering more about my little camera, and it's so fun to compose a shot. Love that sunrise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sound at peace now. Lesson learned and now back to your life of serenity. You are learning your new camera's features in record time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. woohoo glad to hear on the SS..and hope life keeps getting back to normal...that is so cool on the owls....wow they are magnificent....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! These owls are beautiful! I've never seen a snowy owl. Do they always travel in pairs?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those owls as well as your pics are gorgeous! Great news about your check! Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so happy to hear you're replacing your iPad. I know I'd be lost without mine so I can only imagine how you must miss it. Beautiful photographs. I wish I could see a snowy owl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Snowy owls are a very beautiful bird. I remember as a little kid these bird would sit on top of a haystack or straw pile.
    Today a Calgary blog has post on snowies. I'll try to give you a link.http://birdscalgary.wordpress.com/2012/01/10/awesome-snowies-2/

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds like your new Canon has a lot more features than out old ones. Looks like you're having fun with it.
    And Hurray! that you have your finances back in a secure place.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The owls are so dang beautiful! You are lucky to have them even if on a temp basis. The foliage shot looks pretty good. I'm glad you got a new camera and are able to get a new IPad to replace your one that took a walk. :)Now it's business as usual I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds and looks like you're having a fine time. That sunrise image is so striking. I'm glad that everything is falling into place for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gosh those owls are striking! Just gorgeous! And your camera play and experimentation is working out quite splendidly. I can see you using the foliage setting quite often. I'd love to see that hoar frost in the macro!! Whooo!

    Enjoy, m'lady! Please show us your brand new iPad when you get it so I can be properly envious. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Djan, you and I are the only people this side of Oklahoma who haven't had a snowy owl drop in her back yard, from what I hear. Maybe these "irruptions" are cyclical, but to me it seems like sumpin' ain't right.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh...color me green with jealousy!! Those owls...how awesome.

    Funny thing, when I bought our new 24x zoom digital, only a tiny booklet came with it. Not explaining any of the multitude of things you can do with it. I emailed the company and asked for an owner's guide [ an idiot sheet is what I call 'em ] and they wrote back and told me I must purchase the book. For the cost of the camera, you'd think they'd include the large book. Oh well...I did get it online tho, but never have yet to print it out. Someday. LOL

    Glad you're enjoying your new toy!!! They're addictive.


    STAR OF INDIA

    ReplyDelete
  18. Perhaps you will get a chance to get a photo of the Snowy Owls too! They are beautiful! You will get the new camera all sorted out before too long..practice and delete!! I bet you are excited to get your iPad too.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. The pictures are gorgeous. I love that pink sky photo. Have lots of fun with your new camera. Glad to hear you are getting an new iPad.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes, your pictures are vivid and very sharp. I'm so glad to hear your soc. sec. money came through. Hope you get your Ipad 2 soon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I look forward to seeing your new pictures from the new camera. A new iPad too, how great is that! I could enjoy that too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations on your photos. Do you remember Grandma Moses and her stardom? Well maybe yours is coming. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have been reading about the snowy owls, I would love to see them. Maybe a few will take a side trip over our way. :)

    Glad to hear things are getting back to normal for you. It sounds like you're having a great time with the new camera.

    ReplyDelete
  24. those owls are gorgeous! I'd love to see some for real! :o)

    Playing with a new camera is so much fun, enjoy! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  25. WoW - Thank you for adding such beauty to my morning with the Snowy Owls. The last one I saw was sitting on my Dad's Garage Roof when I was a young girl and I haven't seen any since (living in a city). The berries and leaves came out quite nice with your new camera and I much enjoyed the colours of the morning sun.
    Enjoy your new toy and great to hear you will soon be back on track with your new iPad.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous pictures. Those owls are stunning. That's definitely not something I see in this part of the country.
    I really struggle when I try to take sky pictures. I never seem to be able to capture the accurate color. Then again, it's tough to capture the scope of the sky with the relatively small space of a picture.
    I'm glad you're getting a new iPad. I don't really use one, but my husband is pretty attached to his (thank goodness because it means he's not on the computer every time I go to us it!).

    ReplyDelete
  27. Grrr. This is sooo frustrating. Its seems most of the nothern states birders have born witness to this snowly owl irruption... except me. It would be a "lifer." And the way thing are going I may need two lifetimes to spot one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations on the great photos with your new camera, DJan! I still don't have an iPad. I'm still trying to figure out the iPhone. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.