Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Old dogs and new tricks

Snagged from Pixelmator
I got an email from Picnik this week, letting me know that it is being discontinued. Picnik is the editing tool I've been using ever since I began writing my blogs to make headers and to add text, show two side-by-side pictures, and whatnot. It's actually not going completely away, but it's moving some of its most popular features to Google+. Now, I'm a member of Google+ but am still not sure I truly want to get involved in yet another social networking site. My friends who post over there keep me entertained when I visit it, but Facebook is just about all I can handle after keeping up with the blogs I follow (almost a hundred), which are way more interesting to me because of their variety and immediacy. I might end up feeling differently about Google+ in a while, but for now I was sorry to hear that Picnik is leaving me in April.

And just by chance, my friend Al mentioned (during Thursday's hike) that he recently bought Pixelmator, a Mac photo editing tool, and was having fun with it. So I of course went to the Apple app store and took a look. Since Picnik is returning the annual $25 I pay for a pro account, and when I saw that this app costs $30, I bought it. The first attempt I've made with it is the new header on this blog. I don't yet know how to make a nice border, but I wasn't unhappy with my first attempt. It helped that years and years ago I learned (I'm using that term loosely) how to use PhotoShop. I took a beginning class with my very capable assistant, Ann.

It was a two-day-long introduction to what you could do with PhotoShop. In some ways, Pixelmator is similar, using layers and tools to cut out pictures and slap them onto others, such as the above picture. Fortunately, Pixelmator has plenty of tutorials for me to watch over and over until I can duplicate the sample pictures. I woke up in the middle of the night and remembered a trick I had learned years ago. While I struggled with PhotoShop, Ann took to it like a duck to water. This meant I didn't have to get proficient myself, just ask HER to create what I needed. She was so creative that she kept the entire office agog with her work. I ended up having to take another beginning class a few years later, because she moved on to another position and I no longer had her to hold my hand.

But now it's years later and I'm having to teach myself some new tricks. I knew quite a bit of theory but I didn't have much hands-on experience with photo editing. Picnik knew just what I wanted to do and made it possible to work within their framework. Now, if I can just get proficient with this program, I might actually come up with some new and creative ideas myself. I'm hoping so, anyway.

This morning the Oscar nominations came out, and I was happy to see that Judy and I have seen all but two of the nine movies that were nominated. Tomorrow we will go to see "War Horse" and later "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close." Judy reminded me today that Meryl Streep has now been nominated 17 times for an Oscar, but she hasn't won since 1982 (for Sophie's Choice). I do hope she will win this time. I haven't yet seen Michelle Williams in "Marilyn," but I cannot see how she could have been better than Meryl. But then again, I'm really rooting for Meryl to win. What do you think?
:-)

31 comments:

  1. I like your new header. Woo-hoo! Macs are supposed to be ideal for graphic design, so your new app should help you. I'll keep watching to see what else you can do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your header looks very good so you're obviously on the right track. My photos are in such a mess. I'm about to pull my hair out trying to figure out where to store them, how to organize them etc. Editing them is probably beyond me. Hopefully I'll get this figured out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your header looks great. I used to be pretty savvy when it came to software but nowadays I just get lost. I have Corel only because it was so much cheaper than PhotoShop and it works fine for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new header is very striking... it really draws the viewer right into the mountains! I bet you'll enjoy your new editing program as you continue to experiment with your photography.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The new header is great, DJan. I have no doubt you'll be zipping your way through this application just like you zip though your mountain hikes. Gotta love Macs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you new header. I was going to comment earlier. I don't know much about photo editing. I just use the tools in Windows Photo Library.
    I do thinks I have some movies to rest or go see. Got yo be up to date on my cultural literacy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the new header too. I would like to see Meryl get an Oscar for her portrayal of Margaret Thatcher in the excellent film, The Iron Lady.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your new blog look is great. Thanks for the info about Pixelmator, will give it a look.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i like the new header...yeah i thing google is moving most everything over to the google + platform...

    way behind on seeing the oscar nominees this year...

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've given a great description of the stuff that's available to work with photos. You've also given me some homework. I will have to look at photo shop. I need all the help I can get to work with headers. My son did the recent change.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your new header is striking DJan, if that was your first attempt I can't wait to see what you come up with next. I don't do a lot of editing and use the program that came with my program and MyMemories for headers right now. I got the 30 day trial of PhotoShop and played with it quite a bit. It was actually pretty easy, I liked that it would merge photos. I might get it in the future.

    I haven't seen The Iron Lady but I'm always rooting for Meryl Streep.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an awesome header! Super photo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your new header. Thanks for the heads-up on the new program for editing photos on a Mac. I may look into that when I am better. (For now I struggle to type words, but I am getting better everyday.)

    I sorta, kinda learned PhotoShop also, so maybe there is hope for me. My daughter Keicha is the real pro with photo editing. So was Julie. I think it does take a special gift to work with some of the graphic programs on the computer. I'd say you will be really wowing us soon since you already have super impressed me with the header.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The new header is great!
    I never did learn PhotoShop. I suppose it doesn't much matter since it's so pricey. My husband bought Pixelmator for me the Christmas after I got my Mac. I love it because it can be as simple or as complex as I want it to be, and it's hard to beat the price. I've used it more since I got the new lens because there are so many minute adjustments you can make that really make a difference. I honestly haven't really played with a lot of the cutting features...I guess it's time to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your new header! as for Meryl - she is fantastic - a chameleon - and deserves more Oscars. I just watched her again in 'A Cry in the Night', when she played Lindy Chamberlain, the Australian woman who's baby was taken by a dingo (if you haven;t seen it - do - Meryl is outstanding and once again you forget that she's an actress.) She becomes every character she plays.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your new header. Intrepid explorers.
    I am not a movie goer. The cinemas are tooooo hot for me and I like to stop and think about scenes - by which time the movie has moved on too far for me to catch up. DVDs would be the answer - but it is a habit I haven't yet got into.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have noticed that no matter where I go in the blogosphere you've already been there. How you have time to hike and fall through the sky I'll never know.

    Maybe I should learn some editing tools. You're inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the new header. You are light years ahead of me with computer knowledge. :)

    I have Google+ but I never remember to go there. Quit facebook, twitter, flickr...and I can still barely keep up with what I do follow online. ;)

    I have no idea ever with the oscars because so few of the movies have gone to DVD before they are voted on. I have only seen two of them. None of the rest are available yet. I look forward to watching them all, though. I do love Meryl, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice header. It is always interesting to look at headers and blog decorations. I use an old version of PhotoShop as well as a free program that I downloaded from the web called PhotoScape. It is fascinating to try to manipulate photos. Unfortunately, "seeing is believing" no longer applies when I see pictures on the web.

    The idea of altered reality reminds me of the movie starring Glenn Close called "Albert Nobbs" when women dressed as men in order to get jobs. I don't have a favorite in the Oscar competition since I haven't seen any of those movies yet.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rooting for Meryl - this lady has accomplished so much in her career and she can ACT.
    Now DJan, about your new program and the learning bit. Whenever you have a problem, just go to youtube and type in whatever you are looking for help in and VOILA - you will have many answers via VIDEO, FREE.
    I love new toys and when I get one, sometimes the short answer for me is to just go to YOUTUBE. You do not have to join to get answers.
    YOUTUBE - the dictionary of all applications/programs

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the description of the Pixelmator. Now I will check it out. I really am impressed with your header.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have photoshop and a scrapbook program that I use to make all my headers. I have only scratched the surface in Photoshop..it all takes time. I have so many projects going all at once.
    I saw Glenn Close on the Today show this morning..and that crazy heavy gal that plays Molly..I would enjoy seeing either of them win. Glenn Close has never won an Oscar.:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your new header is gorgeous. I don't know anything about cameras or photoshop type apps but this sure was a lovely header.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I enjoyed reading your review on the film “The Artist.” I’d like to see it mostly because of Jean Dujardin. He is a pretty popular French actor now. He has been in several movies. This year I have not seen any of the nominated movies – I better get started.

    I also received an email from Picnik – I don’t use it very often but it’s nice to have it there when I need it. I’ll go and check the other site you mention. First I’ll have to learn my Photoshop Element program my husband gave me a year ago....

    ReplyDelete
  25. I always wondered how you managed to do the things you do on your blog! I will need to look into learning about the Mac program, Pixelmator, when I have time to breathe and learn something new!
    I've been so frustrated when I attempt to post photos, as they never do what I want, or look like I want them to. Of course, I didn't know a person could use other programs! I just use what I see is there!!

    Your new header is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Meryl--def. Meryl.

    You're my techno-hero.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love your new header. I can see I need some self-educating on these news tools.

    I'm rooting for Meryl, even though I haven't seen the movie yet. She's such a class act in everything she does.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh honey, don't even do Facebook. I didn't let myself slip into anything but the blog which sucks more time than I can truly afford 'round the Ponderosa.

    I love Picnik...shoot! I too learned PhotoShop while teachin' but find it difficult at times.

    Seems my cheers are never heard when the Oscars are chosen but I do adore seein' the fab gowns.

    God bless ya sweet lady and have an extraordinary day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. All the more power to you, love the pic at the top by the way. I have barely tweeked something that finally allows me to comment seamlessly again. Better you than I with new stuff! :}

    ReplyDelete
  30. Dear DJan,
    I've always readily admitted that I was "technologically challenged." Today, after reading your post, I realized that I not only don't know how to do things on the computer and with a camera, I also don't even know the the vocabulary and the possibilities.

    Wow! Am I behind or what!!!????!!!!!

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your new header is just perfect for your blog.

    I've heard that War Horse is fabulous, but you should bring some tissues along.

    I'm still trying to learn different things on PhotoShop.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.