Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Shiny brand new year

My walking friends and I met at 9:00am on New Years Day to walk around Lake Padden, the scene of the crime where my car was broken into a week earlier. Shattered glass still indicated right where I had been parked. But now that I've visited the lake and moved into the new year, I can concentrate on other things. Besides, nothing of value was in my car, and all the ladies either carried their valuables or didn't bring them in their cars, so everybody was ready to enjoy the day. We had coffee, spicy hot chocolate and lots of treats, mostly brought by Cindy, our leader, to enjoy after our walk. We started the new year surrounded by good friends.
It was overcast but extremely warm; the temperatures the past few days have been amazingly fall-like. Yesterday, January 2, it reached 58 degrees (14.4 C) here in Bellingham and a few high temperature records fell across the state. Today, however, it's windy and rainy.

I took those first two pictures with my old Canon PowerShot that got me hooked on the PowerShot line. It's one of the "A" series, and I've learned that they come in three different versions: A, Elph, and SX. My stolen camera was an SX with a 10X optical zoom. Yesterday I went to Best Buy and was excited to see a camera on sale that would give me a 12X optical zoom and 14.1 mexapixels in each picture for about the same price. My old one was 9MP, so for the same price I've now got a camera that will give me a bit more quality... and zoom-ability for the birds. I just went out on the front porch in very low light and took this picture of a downy woodpecker munching away on the suet feeder.
He's grown so accustomed to my presence that he just gave me a quick look and went back to attacking the suet. I used the 12X optical all the way out for this picture, and since it's late in the day and very cloudy, all I got was a silhouette. Next time. I'm very pleased with the camera; it's simpler to use than my previous one and about the same size or a little smaller. It's important to me to have a camera I can carry with me everywhere, rather than a huge DSLR with different lenses. I'd be weighed down and have the dickens of a time keeping everything dry in this environment.

Once I am assured that my Social Security direct deposit has been successfully transferred to my new checking account, I'll be thinking about replacing that iPad. So things are looking up and getting back to normal. I hope the same is happening in your own bright shiny new year!
:-)

27 comments:

  1. Love the pics! Definitely replace the iPad. I'm totally hooked on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And a shiny brand new year to you too. I loved the woodpecker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy to hear your life is returning to normal, and that you got the new camera. It's sad to think about how our society has come to not being able to carry our belongings without fear of them being taken from us. You sound good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also a fan of Canon Powershot. I have the same one as the one you lost. That's what I take with me when I really want to get out and move.
    I'm so glad you can return to the scene of the crime and enjoy yourself with your walking friends. Good recovery all around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the picnic and everything laid out so nicely. Wonderful to move on and have great friends to hike and dine with. Love the woodpecker and can't wait to see your adventures with new camera. Good for you DJan. Take care - keep em com in' kiddo :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. frigid here today...and glad to see that things are looking up for you...the picnic sounds like a great idea too djan...happy new year...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a Power Shot Elph. I wouldn't mind having something more powerful like yours. Glad things are looking up for you, DJan. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never paid attention, but knew my Power Shot had numbers. But under the numbers I see elph! Tada! Not sure what that is, but I have one of those--LOL! I'm so glad you got a better camera out of the ordeal. Silver lining, baby!! Shiny silver lining! ;)

    I love the green you have!!! Wow! Even though it has sometimes been warmer than usual and we haven't had hardly any snow to speak of...it is definitely not green here. Nice to see it. And what a spread! How nice to have such great friends. :)

    Going to be a good year, Djan!! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to see you got back on the Lake Padden 'horse', But then I knew you would. After all, you're still skydiving!

    I love my camera - a Canon Rebel XT, but it is a bit big to lug around at times....and now the better ones sell for less than what I paid a few years ago. D'oh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad things are looking up for you. I'm getting those bird-silhouette photos these days, too. Just not enough light. One of my cameras is a PowerShot very similar to what you had, as I recall. I'm gradually learning to take advantage of the bells and whistles. It's a great way to record some of the beauty in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year, the treats look delicious and so happy you were able to share your day with such good friends.....:-)Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to hear you new year is off to a good start DJan. The new camera sounds exciting, I know you are going to love it.

    We got up to a sunny 57 today which may set a record here. It felt like autumn for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I can understand the importance of keeping a camera dry. They're not cheap and moisture WILL ruin a camera faster 'n' a bullet.

    The treats for the end of the walk looks yummy. The area, I'm sure is beautiful.

    And the bird...used to you being around and not flitting off at the sight of you? You must live right. Here...no matter how often I sit out and watch the birds, they fly off.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those morning treats seem so yummy. Woodpeckers are pretty bold little creatures and fun to shoot. I'm glad you found a good replacement cameara.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you were able to revisit the scene of the crime and move on from the "experience." It isn't easy, and if I had experienced what you had experienced - I would have probably avoided the crime scene for far longer than you did. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great start to the year!

    I love CANON cameras! I used this brand way before the digital varieties came in. I have my CANON IXUS 105 camera with me at all times...it's small so easily carried around in my bag. I do have a large FUGI camera given to me by my son when he upgraded to a CANON DSLR but I don't use as often because it's bulky so I fully understand what you mean, Djan. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your new camera. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Some day I'm going to have to break down and buy more camera.
    Shiny brand new year has important meaning for you this year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I received my digital camera about four or more years ago for Christmas. It is still one of my favorite toys and has been used more than I imagined.
    The treats look yummy - - - great way to end the hike.

    ReplyDelete
  19. ...now I think I might want an iPad....

    Djan--thanks alot. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so glad you were able to go back there and go on from there. Your camera is working just fine. I have the Canon Powershot too and love it. Have a super year, DJan.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your area has so many photo opportunities, I would also want a super great camera. Your photos look very professional.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Catching up... Another beautiful hike. Your response to the "violation" is spot on. I would have expected no less from a lady who climbs to mountain tops and jumps out of airplanes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. What is in the spicy hot chocolate? What a great way to start the year, around good friends.

    Have fun getting acquainted with your new camera. I am going to stretch myself to learn how to use mine more this year and how to take night shots.

    So glad things are looking up and back to normal as you say in this post. It looks like you will be having a great year, DJan.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good for you! I'm glad you're moving past the robbery and have replaced your camera.

    I used to be happy with my smaller camera until I began to encounter situations that the camera couldn't handle. That's when I became more interested in the DSLR. If I were usually taking pictures like you take I would definitely prefer the portability that your camera provides. I can't wait to see what you can do with this new one!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds like a lovely way to start the year, and with a fun new camera too! ;o)

    I'm glad to hear things are returning to normal! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  26. So nice to hear that you're on the up and up. Where do you buy the suet from? I've never seen any over here.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your old camera is the same as mine. So I will be watching you with your new camera..I am thinking of a Canon SX 40 as it comes highly recommended. I am like you I do not want a bulky big camera and so many dials and settings that would drive me nuts. It looks so calm and pretty at the site of the Robbery..you sound Ok now. I am so glad:)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.