Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Feeling independent today

Lily and Lamont's cozy home

Today is one of those days that feels like it's a weekend, even though it's Tuesday. It's also Independence Day, the Fourth of July, and my dear friend Lily and her partner invited John and me over for coffee and breakfast to start the holiday off in a festive manner. They will be leaving early in the morning to head to Canada to celebrate Lily's birthday. 

But before that, she made a wonderful breakfast for us to enjoy. We also brought some flowers and cards to make sure she knows how much we love her. I've known Lily for at least a decade now. She once lived here in our apartment complex, but after she moved away, has kept in touch with me during the entire time. Although we don't see each other all that often, I still really value her friendship and make sure she knows it. She and Lamont have gotten me interested in bowling, which we now do together every month or so. She recently got her own custom bowling ball, but doesn't actually get much time to bowl, since she works a minimum of 40 hours a week.

I am still very enamoured with my new laptop, not yet used to all its advantages, but since I'll have it for at least the next three years, I'll learn more as time goes by. After this morning's breakfast was digested, I went out for a four-mile walk, but unfortunately the heat made it feel hotter than it was. It's now more than 80°F, which is hot to me. I usually don't try to exercise when it's that warm, but I managed just fine. I'll be hiking this Thursday in similar temperatures, so it was good to take a test drive and see how I did. We will travel ten miles on Thursday, but it should mostly be in the shade (I hope).

I will probably have to shut the bedroom window in order to sleep through the booms and fireworks tonight. I won't be staying up long enough to see them, which is perfectly okay to admit, right? It won't let up until way after midnight, but it only happens once a year. Although it's only midday, I am having a celebratory glass of wine. Why not? By the time the sun goes down tonight, hopefully I'll be slipping into slumberland.
Independence is a heady draught, and if you drink it in your youth, it can have the same effect on the brain as young wine does. It does not matter that its taste is not always appealing. It is addictive and with each drink you want more. —Maya Angelou

Happy Independence Day, America! 

:-)

9 comments:

  1. Happy Independence Day dear neighbor to the north. At about 4PM it's 86F in Seattle. The forecaster says hotter tomorrow. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to celebrate with friends.
    Happy 4th! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 4th DJan, I enjoyed reading about your lovely friends and I like their cozy place. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy the birthday celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice of Lily to invite you over. That's what life is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We hardly had anything going on for the 4th. We used to have a fireworks show at the Ala Moana Center and the Blue Angels doing fly byes, but not this year. It was a mellow and calm day so I did a lot of weeding in my yard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do very well to get out in the heat. It’s really hot and humid here so I am indoors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you had a nice 4th, DJan. I'm not a fan of fireworks, so was happy that we didn't have a lot going on in our neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.