Thursday, July 20, 2023

More changes every day

John at the coffee shop

 There we were, just minding our own business at the coffee shop, when John told me he didn't feel quite right. Feeling a little woozy and disoriented, for one thing. I asked him if he would do me a favor and head to a local Urgent Care place to get his vitals checked. He's 83, after all, and he said he thought maybe he'd just head on over to the Emergency Room instead. He did, and next thing I knew, he had been admitted and put on an IV diuretic. I just spoke to him, and he's still in the hospital, "having some issues," whatever that means. So he is in the best place for now, and I'm glad he's in good hands. 

Beautiful flower I spied in a garden

I am a little concerned, but hopefully he's strong and will recover from whatever is ailing him. He's got COPD and uses an inhaler, but so far it's not been a problem, and he's been his usual self until about a week ago, when he began to feel tired and a little out of sorts. I won't lie, I'm worried about him. I didn't go on the usual Thursday hike today with the Senior Trailblazers; the weather has turned hot and I have unpleasant memories of not doing well on the exposed part of this hike in the past when it's been hot. 

Low fog as we pulled away from Guemes Island

However, I had a great hike with the Happy Wanderers on Tuesday, so I don't feel too awfully bad about not going today with Group 2. Yes, more changes every day, and things never stay the same, do they? I remember when we left the dock on the little ferry (I wrote about the hike on my previous post), it was so cool and delightful, and the higher temperature today just didn't feel nearly as inviting. Next Tuesday, the hike is one Melanie and I did often, so it will be just fine, even if it's on the warm side. I know it well. And so I might be writing about those hikes more often than the Thursday one, but who knows for sure? 

Fragrant lilies

I see these flowers every day on my walk home from the rose garden, and today I saw that they have bloomed. Every year I wait for this moment, when they finally open and burst forth into fragrant extravagance. They don't last long, but every time I've seen them lately, they have not been nearly ready to open. Today, they are at their peak, and in a few days they'll be gone for another year. Glad I was there to capture and appreciate them today. There are always tradeoffs when things veer off established pathways. I was fortunate that they waited for me.

I'll keep you updated about John. I wonder if I should wait to call him until he's feeling better. Again, as I said, being in the hospital under a doctor's care is the best place for him right now. I've done everything I know how to do, and I've sent him lots of love and healing vibes, which is all anybody can do when our loved ones need it, right?

:-}

16 comments:

  1. I hope they get John back and in good shape. It's a little stressful when a friend has some stressful incidents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will add my wishes and hopes for John's speedy and complete recovery.
    Wise move on cancelling your walk in the heat - and thank you for those glorious liliums.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My best to your friend John, the hospital is a great place for him so glad he went. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you saw him when you did. Sounds like he was waiting for a second opinion from a friend before bothering to take medical action.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad John is getting care. Sending prayers and positive energy is all we can do sometimes. Yes--let us know how he is doing.
    The flowers are beautiful. Smart to cancel on a hike you know is hard to do in the heat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you and John are soon back to your morning coffees.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thinking about you and your friend, Jan. I wish John a speedy diagnosis and recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a kind & friendly photo of John... oh DJan, I hope with everything you get some good news, and soon. Your title above.. how right that is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending healing positive thoughts for John.❤️

    ReplyDelete
  10. Prayers for John's getting back up and being well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry to hear about John. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him. That dark flower caught my eye and I used Google photos to try and figure out what it was. It says Dahlia Verrone's Obsidian.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too hope that John is on the mend and his 'issues' resolved. Sending good vibes his way. And I'm glad that Kay came up with the name of that flower. I was curious as to what it was.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thinking of your friend John, and also of you. Good choice not to hike in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are going to get really hot weather this week and the "bubble" may hang over us for some time. At my age, I am concerned.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.