Thursday, July 13, 2023

Church Mountain

My Best Buds for today's hike

I am sitting here in my PJs after having had a wonderful day with Group 2 of the Senior Trailblazers. We walked from this spot, eight of us, to the meadows on a warm and mostly sunny day. I took the picture, but we were all willing and able to make it up the almost 3,000-foot elevation gain from this spot to the meadows.

Heading up the steep trail

I've done this hike many times in previous years, with Group 1, but I am no longer able to keep up the faster pace. This group, led by Linda, went more slowly up the steep trail to the meadows, and I was able to keep up without any problems. I really wanted to avoid the need to complain in any way, helping to keep the group from seeing me as a drag. I didn't need to worry, since there were many others who had never before made the trip, and they also found it rather challenging.

Our trail up to the meadows

I've actually made it all the way up to the top in previous years, which is another major hike from the meadows, but today I was happy to have my friends and I accomplish our destination to the beautiful green meadows.

Linda and Helen at the beginning of the meadows

It is such an amazing feeling to reach the end of all the uphill, and see the green cornucopia of flowers and vistas as far as the eye can see. We did have some clouds that obscured a good view of the mountains, but it didn't daunt anyone's delight at being here, in this gorgeous place.

Our lunch spot

We hiked a short distance through the meadows to where we could stop for lunch. We spent almost an hour enjoying the view, the company, and the food we brought, before going back down the way we had come.

Our incredible view

Just take a look at what we saw while we had our lunch. Although the clouds obscured some of the mountains, we were in a place that has few equals in beauty. I was so glad to be able to be there myself, not sure whether I would ever see it again before today's hike.

Looking towards the mountains

It was such a wonderful day, with incredible views, and such fine friends to share it with. We went, in total, about seven miles up and down almost 3,000 feet. Heading back down, I realized it was as hard to descend as it had been to ascend, but in a different way. I made it, but not without some discomfort. But nothing I couldn't handle.

Goodbye to the meadows for now

When it was time to head back down the trail, we went the way we had come up. It was actually harder for me in the descent, since there was a constant need to pay attention to the trail, and the long descent meant not losing my focus, even for a moment, to keep from falling. Then, finally, we were at the trailhead again, and we had just finished a very wonderful and unforgettable hike. I am feeling pretty good now, after having eaten dinner, had a nice bath, and am looking forward to more of these wonderful excursions with my new friends!

:-)

16 comments:

  1. The beauty in your photos, the clouds and sky, the green, the vistas, what a remarkable place for your hike, and you did great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it is so pretty there! So glad they went slow and steady to make it a great hike !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad it went well! More hikes in your future, I'm sure, now that you made it to the meadow and back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Te green meadows and the view look rather splendid to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos DJan, the meadow pics looked like they came right out of the opening of The Sound of Music. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The view is gorgeous. Love the meadows with the wildflowers. You deserve a relaxing evening after that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good, I'm glad that it went so well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love looking at your photos to see what's blooming in the high meadows. What a gorgeous place,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on accomplishing such a beautiful hike!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those really are spectacular meadows!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That photo of your view looks like a painting! Absolutely gorgeous. It raises my spirits. I'm been suffering extreme vertigo for the past week after perhaps overdoing it trying to get all my trip posts written and posted before I forgot what happened. I'm supposed to not have too much "screen time." I love the idea of such a lovely hike.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I thought I was the only one who thinks this scenery is from the Sound of Music....Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your 'goodbye to the meadows' pic is my favorite! I had to enlarge it so I could really enjoy the scene. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful walk. You are lucky to have different groups to join. We can still enjoy walking albeit at a slower pace.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.