Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Chanterelle and potluck

Some of today's large group

 The Happy Wanderers Senior Trailblazers group met either at the trailhead for the Chanterelle trail hike or at the Senior Center to carpool. After the five-mile hike, we went to Kris's home for a potluck, where she provided grilled hot dogs. There was, as usual when you attend a potluck, a massive amount of food, and I did my part.

Most of us on the trail

It was overcast with an occasional spit from the skies as we hiked slowly up to the overlook. There were nineteen hikers in all, and some were not very fast, so we meandered our way upwards and then downwards. The main event of the day was to meet at Kris's place, which is on the way to the trailhead, and enjoy some food together after the hike. Many others joined us at her home who didn't hike. 

Leann hugging a tree, as usual

Leann says she's been hugging trees like this for at least ten years, and they never seem to mind her attention, and it makes for an interesting picture. She's only been with the Trailblazers for a year, but she has certainly become a fixture with at least two of the three groups.

After the hike, we drove in our carpooled full cars to Kris' where we put out quite a spread to accompany Kris' hot dogs. I ate a lot of salads and some wonderful desserts, and when I was finished (and quite full), I went looking for something to drink, but some rascal had put out tubs of ice cream, and I managed to eat more on top of all that food. 

The patio where we feasted and visited with one another

I went inside looking for her bathroom at one point, and I was captivated by her living room. She lives alone and manages this enormous place by herself, with some help from her numerous grandkids, she said. I asked for permission to show the living room, and she agreed.

Serene and comfortable all at once

She pointed out that she doesn't have any curtains on the windows, because she enjoys looking out at the green landscape. It was so lovely to see such a beautiful home, and I feel very privileged to be able to visit. I don't know her situation, but I was really impressed to see all that she manages to accomplish. It can't be easy, but she also makes time to hike every week with the Happy Wanderers.

Crocosmia in bloom

I spied this lovely bloom with a few bright drops of rain on the underside, making it a perfect finale for our day's endeavor. Whether we hiked and ate, or just ate and talked, everyone had a great time. I will stop being so full sometime soon.

:-)

11 comments:

  1. A beautiful hike and then a friendly gathering in a beautiful home. Sounds lovely. And food too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The friends and support in these groups is well wotrh the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost chuckled at your caption of LeAnn hugging that tree, until I saw that home! Gorgeous, thanks for sharing DJan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a lovely get-together, good food and good conversation. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful home, and the view is so serene, I understand why she doesn't block it with any kind of window treatments. Good friends, and lots of delicious food, what could be sweeter !
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the light pouring in to that living room. I wouldn't block it in any way either.
    It sounds like yet another delightful day for you and your friends. Thank you for sharing some of its beauty. I am a tree hugger too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful group of people to have as companions and friends. I recognized your tree hugger! I have done some tree hugging in my day, so I always enjoy seeing her. Quite a day!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful view from her home! I wouldn't hang drapes there, either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look like a beautiful home. So glad you are having fun with the hiking groups! I wouldn't spoil that view with curtains either:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree that it's a gorgeous home. I'm impressed she's able to maintain it on her own, even with family help. But how wonderful to be able to look out at all those trees. The potluck sounded super delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.