Thursday, July 6, 2023

Hot but delightful hike

Today's Group 2 participants

I joined Group 2 today, so that we could enjoy a lovely hike up the Chanterelle Trail, from the bottom to the top, a five-mile excursion from the trailhead start to the very tippy-top of the existing trail. It's been awhile since I've done the entire trail, since Melanie would always be willing to turn around when I began to complain. Well, with the others anxious to cover the distance, I did, too.

Lake Whatcom from the halfway spot

It was a little hazy when we got to the viewpoint, but it was very pleasant and we began our next segment with everyone doing just fine. That included me; I didn't actually have a problem until we were less than a few hundred feet from the terminus.
The terminus and the beginning of a new trail

Once we were at the terminus, we could see where the trail that will finally join the Hertz trail with the upper one will meet. Although it will be awhile before it's finished, it's nice to see that work is still in progress. We stopped here, at the five-mile mark, for a nice lunch break before heading down the way we came.

Our overhead canopy

Although it was pretty warm, we were mostly protected from the direct sun by a wonderful canopy of trees. We began our descent after lunch, and we were glad to have such a delightful environment, with the occasional sighting of fruits still to come this season.
Blackberries almost ready to eat

One person saw these wild blackberries almost ripe, and pointed them out to me. I don't think I ever eaten these before, and by the time I see them next, it will be too late.
Our trail, with our leader for today

Linda is there, hanging out on the shady trail that led us back to our starting point. We covered ten miles and around 2,300 feet of elevation gain and loss. A really lovely day, with me feeling happy that I can sit here at home writing this post after a wonderful bath and some food (and an IPA, too) and knowing that I did well enough to consider an even harder hike next week! Well, maybe anyway.

Beautiful shroom on the trail


That was my adventure today, and I am now happy to wrap it all up in the bow I consider my post. I had a great day today and am happy to feel this good! Yay!

:-)

12 comments:

  1. Glad you made it out and about with your friends. Looks like it was a beautiful day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes if we take things easy with a few breaks we can achieve more than we think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thrilled for you - and it looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the canopy of trees DJan... remarkable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a longer hike! I hope you did not overdo...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are ambitious for a lady in her 80s. Good health and optimism - hurrah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pics look shady... so that's a plus... even if it was a bit warm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you. You earned your bath and beer. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad it was delightful for you! Are you allowed to pick the mushrooms and fruits along the way?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you could handle the more challenging hike!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.