Thursday, June 29, 2023

No Thursday hike for me

This morning's Cornwall Rose Garden beauty

This morning I walked to the bus stop and rode the bus downtown, to have coffee with John, as usual on any day other than Thursday. Because I hardly slept last night, I decided to skip the challenging "Relaxed" hike with the Senior Trailblazers today. I only got three hours of sleep, mostly because I couldn't get comfortable and tossed and turned for most of the night. 

Partly this was due to having received my new Apple laptop computer around 8:00pm (when it was supposed to arrive by noon), and of course SG and I had to take it out of the box and get started transferring all the data from my old one to the new one. I called Apple support, and we learned that the new version comes with a gadget called a "Migration Assistant." We managed to get everything transferred (which took awhile). I went to bed before it was all finished, but SG stayed up and learned all the bells and whistles that are offered in the latest version. Can I say that I LOVE the new keyboard? I was so tired of that old "butterfly" keyboard that often typed words wrongly, and sometimes skipped letters because they would stick until I wrestled them free. This is so much better!

The display, showing the rose, above

In many ways, though, there is very little difference between using my new laptop in writing this post and the old version, because everything transferred over with my settings intact. How cool is that? No fussing around, and I really notice the difference in speed. Nothing is hanging or waiting as happened frequently with the old one.

This is my third or fourth version of the MacBook Air, and many of the things they "improved" in the last version have been fixed in this one. I love the magnetic charging cord, which was taken out of the last version but reintroduced here. And the keyboard just fits my little hands like it was made for me! 

Instead of hiking with the Trailblazers, I did get in my usual three miles before coming home and playing with my new toy. I asked John to let me out in front of the Cornwall Rose Garden, which is displaying so many beautiful roses right now. Along with the first picture, I also took this one:

Pretty and fragrant

I know there is much more to learn about this new setup, but for now I guess you could say I am very happy. And I'll be way happier once I've caught up on my missing sleep. I feel a little frazzled, since I'm used to getting eight or nine hours every night. But I can do this every once in awhile and not be any the worse for wear. And I did get in a really nice walk with the Happy Wanderers on Tuesday!

:-)

15 comments:

  1. How odd! I couldn't sleep last night either and slept about 3 hours this morning! I'm also used to 8-10 hours and am feeling frazzled. The roses look just gorgeous! I'm glad you still got out and about, regardless. But the longer walk would have been too much. Smart to pass. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very happy for you - and unsurprised you got a walk in anyway. That rose garden (even on screen) is a real mood lifter. Have fun playing with your new toy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your new Apple laptop! I still don't understand the "cloud" and the magic that happens but am glad for them. And if something goes off, I buzz over to the Apple Store for help. I use it all the time to find my iphone. The most important 2 things to remember is your user name (email) and password. They know who we are.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. With all of that mental stimulation at bedtime, it's no wonder you couldn't sleep. Getting a new computer is exciting. I am impressed that you got it up and running so fast. That Migration Assistant is wonderful.
    I frequently have nights with poor sleep, usually about once a week. Three or four hours is tough, but I muddle through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. DJan, I'm sorry to read of the lack of sleep and missing out on the hike (which was a smart move) but wow you still had the energy for 3 miles--as for the new laptop,wow it's beautiful! I love how it looks. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would only buy another Apple product. I am typing on my third MacBook Pro, the first one being my last school computer. When I retired and turned in that computer, I immediately replaced it with my own, and I still have that machine as it has a DVD/CD player. I miss that on this new one. I'm glad to hear the magnetic charging connection is back. That was really a great feature and I miss it on this one. Enjoy the new computer. It connects us to the world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty exciting to get a new computer and set it up. I'm due for a new computer and I'm not looking forward to making the change.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They seem to have done with their laptops what they did with phones. It’s so easy to transfer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah for a new faster computer! I love my IMac:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny, I didn't sleep well last night either... was up around 3am. And I too usually sleep 7-8 hours a night. But I made up for it this afternoon with a fairly long nap before supper. That pink rose is really pretty. Enjoy your new laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great. So everything worked out for you. Cool computer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is good to hear the new laptop is easy to upload with your info and easy to use. Sleep well tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy for you to see your new MacBook Air. It looks great and sounds like it’s a definite improvement over your previous version. Transferring stuff from an older computer to a new one can truly be a challenge. The “Migration Assistant” sounds like a big improvement to getting everything transferred. I got a kick out of reading all the comments before me … you got everything from “have fun with your new toy” to “wow, it’s beautiful.” 😊 I’ll second Marie Smith, “Sleep well tonight.”

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.