Tuesday, June 27, 2023

A new Tuesday activity

Some of today' Happy Wanderers

Today I had to decide whether to attend the Zumba Gold class at the Senior Center, or go walking with the Happy Wanderers. In the end, I figured I'd get a good workout and enjoy a lovely day out at Lake Whatcom more than I would going for an hour's dance. And sure enough, I had a great time on our walk. There were seventeen of us, and I learned on my second excursion with this group that it is typically large like this when the weather is good. I got to spend some time on the trail talking to three hikers, two of whom were brand new to me.

I was a little concerned when I learned that Melanie would be moving that I wouldn't get to spend time on some of my favorite walks, like this one, the Hertz trail. It's not that I can't drive there myself, but with my eyesight beginning to fail, I'd rather not drive long distances any more (this is a half-hour's drive on a winding road). So imagine my delight to find that the Happy Wanderers go to a lot of places I went with my pal Mel, so nothing is lost except her company. I remind myself that times change, people move on.

I ordered my new laptop yesterday and have been watching anxiously for when it might arrive. They said it would be delivered today, but I am skeptical, seeing that the tracker says it still has not yet been shipped. It's not critical that it arrive today, but it sure will be nice when it's in my possession. I see they have already taken the money out of my account; they don't waste any time doing such things, do they? Ordered in the morning, paid for by the afternoon. And hopefully soon on its way to me!

I became a great-aunt once more yesterday, when my sister Markee became a grandparent. This marks the moment in time when all my siblings have become grandparents, other than me. It will never be my fate to have my own grandchildren, so I will just have to be happy there are so many children who will remember me as their crazy old auntie! I'll try my best to live up to expectations, my own included.

I've been watching the incredible heat wave encompassing so much of the south, and if you live there, I do hope you are able to keep yourself moderately comfortable, and I'll try not to feel guilty about our perfect weather.

:-)

16 comments:

  1. I am so very glad to read that you will be able to walk familiar and much loved trails despite Mel's departure.
    I am a great aunt too. I struggle with it. To my shame I was not a good aunt and now I am a great one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a good group DJan, and wow 17 Happy Wanderers! I worried a little for you too when you first said Mel was moving, so I really am happy for you. And congrats on your sister's new grandchild. Looking forward to hearing more about your new computer. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely group you have found. Meanwhile, I hope the move works well for your friend Melanie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stay calm about the new computer. If you've ordered from a reputable dealer, it will be in your hands very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never thought about great aunts or uncles. I guess I do have many of these. Unfortunately I don't get to spend a lot of time with my extended family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad that you ae enjoying your new friends and walking/hiking opportunities. That outdoor exercise is so essential to your health and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When one door closes another one usually opens if you look hard enough. Your new walking group will continue to delight both yourself and me as I read and enjoy your posts about the walks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy you found a group to walk with! Sounds almost perfect...I am certain you miss Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wondered what happened to Melanie. Now I know she is moving. I am glad you have found new companions to hike with.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a really good group.
    I hope you love your new computer. Everything is slower in the mail these days here. What used to take 2-3 days now takes 5-7...or more. It should arrive soon, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sad to hear that Melanie will be moving. But you made new friends and have a good outlook on life. Carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a grandparent? Why am I always the last one to be told these things?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Buz, by the way. My Google profile seems to be acting up and forcing me to post as anonymous.

      Delete
    2. Oooops! I guess I forgot that Trish hasn't had any kids. Sorry, bro.

      Delete
  13. Glad you are able to get out and hike. Here we are in triple digits, so going outside is limited. But I can enjoy your hikes vicariously. Hope your new laptop arrives soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Because my siblings are older than I am, and because one of them had kids much too young, I am now a great-uncle.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.