Saturday, September 3, 2016

Labor Day weekend starting out great

Lynn and Lily at Boulevard Park
It was supposed to rain this morning, but it didn't. Although it's pretty cloudy and cool, that was perfect weather for our walk with the ladies this morning. Lily, who lives in our apartment complex, joined Lynn and me for the first time. I'm pretty sure she'll be back again. We had twenty of us walk what Cindy calls the campus loop: from Boulevard Park to the Farmers' Market, then up the hill to the campus, around and down Mill Street and finally returning to the start. Five miles at a fast clip, just the way to start out the long weekend.
Is there anyone who doesn't have a smartphone?
Since it was Lily's first time with us, everyone pulled out their cellphones to get her current information. I laughed when I saw this picture, which was taken with (what else?) my own cellphone! Then the three of us went to the Farmers' Market so that I could buy some bread, and we enjoyed looking at pottery and jewelry before we left. Not to mention some amazing veggies.
Rosy Bianca eggplant
I had never before seen eggplant that looks like this. Usually they are more like the ones in the background, green-black and shiny. The vendor said these are creamy and delicious. I didn't buy any, but I sure was enchanted with them. Anybody ever cook with them?
Romanesco
These are some of the most beautiful Romanesco I've seen in years. I tried to grow them last year, but they bolted almost immediately. I have since learned they need to be planted late in the season and kept in shady areas for best results. In the background you can see some yellow and purple cauliflower, too.
Heirloom tomatoes
And finally, these lovely heirloom tomatoes that were all vying for attention, from dark to light, yellow to red. This is the time of year when I most enjoy going to the market and taking pictures. Next week maybe I'll concentrate on the magnificent flowers; it's dahlia and zinnia time, after all.
:-)

19 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering at those vegies.
    I suspect Lily will become as addicted to the walk as you are. Not a bad thing. At all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get to a farmers market. somehow I have missed out on them all summer. We have had some great produce out of our own garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes flowers! I have never tasted egg plant so I wouldn't know how it is supposed to taste. Never tried Romanesco either...we did have some of my Dads home grown carrots for supper tonight...they are wonderful:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Romanesco is something new to me. Looks very interesting as a veggie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your saturdays are always big days with a big walk and that Farmer's Market. the Farmer's market is big here too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like a great walk but the produce steals the post. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. laughed at the cell gathering. :) you get some neat veggies, there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's surely the right time of year for the farmers markets. And those are some impressive-looking eggplants!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never seen the odd eggplant or heard of romanesco. You have the best farmer's market!! Looks like a perfect, cooler walking day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. those phones have insidiously taken over, even those of us who fought them for SO LONG. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd have had to try the eggplant. How pretty and unusual. Thanks to living in a no-service area, I still have a dumb phone-- a flip phone even. Maybe some day if we ever get service.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had to smile at the cell phone photo. What did we ever do without them? I guess we carried a lot of scraps of paper around in our pockets! Sometimes, when I hike in the backcountry, I actually become aware that there are no dings and beeps - kinda nice! We are eating heirlooms every night in a salad. I'll be sad when the season is over.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been to the farmers market here only once. Maybe, I should go back.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Walking by the water and ending up at a Farmer's Market sounds ideal. Such a fun (and healthy) way to start the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like it's also the time of year to eat some of this delicious looking stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I see you saw some interesting shrooms on your hike as well. Romanesco looks too fab to eat. I remember getting it in our farmshare box. I froze lots of pureed tomatoes this year. A huge box full. so, I'm all set for winter.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely veggie pics from the market. And your cell phone photo made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I too have never seen those eggplants before today's photo share. I think I would have bought one to try 'em. I love going to farmer's markets.

    Cute photo of all those with smartphones. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's no wonder you're in such great shape, DJan! I just went to the farmer's market this morning, but there's not as much variety as there is in Seattle. And I drove...

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.