Thursday, September 22, 2016

First day of fall on Church Mountain

Lesley, Mel, Chris, Ellen, me, Victoria, Carol
What a day! Only eight Trailblazers showed up on a gorgeous day to hike up Church Mountain, with seven women and Rich, who took this wonderful picture. This was also Lesley's first hike with us, and hopefully not the last, as we got ready to start out in sunshine, with a light breeze and just about perfect hiking weather.
Church Mountain meadow with Mt. Baker in clouds
We made our way up the steep forested switchbacks, and by the time we reached the meadow clouds had begun to form over the mountains. This was our third time up Church Mountain this year, and the first where we didn't see any snow at all. No bugs, and lots of blueberries on those red bushes, which we snacked on as we trudged ever upward.
Can you see our trail?
We broke into two groups after awhile, since there were four people who wanted to hike faster, and others, me included, who were pretty much at their limit of uphill speed.
That's Mel at her lunch spot
And then we were almost at the top, when I saw Mel and heard her cheering us up the last of the trail. Where you see her standing is the spot where four hikers had their lunch, while the rest of us climbed the last fifty feet to the old lookout spot. It is very exposed and not a favorite place for people with vertigo issues.
View from the top
I took several pictures here at the top before settling down for my lunch. You can see that clouds were still building but the temperature was mild and a cool breeze kept us from being uncomfortable.
Summit crew: Ellen, Chris, Rich, and me behind the camera
We had our lunch up here and then it was time to return back down to the trailhead. It is a hard hike, covering just under nine miles and just under 4,000 feet of elevation gain and loss. By the time we made it back to the cars, my knees knew they had been used, and as I sit here at home, I can feel that I got a lot of sun.
Looking the marmots
Part way back down, we heard and saw two marmots on the rocks below. Carol was listening to their calls in this picture and gesturing for quiet. They are getting ready for the change in seasons, too, and look fat and furry. I wasn't able to get a picture.
At Graham's for our ice cream
Lesley was still inside getting her ice cream, while Victoria took this picture of the rest of us. She didn't get any ice cream herself. You can see her shadow, though. It was a wonderful way to end a picture perfect day in the company of great friends, old and new.
:-)

19 comments:

  1. Another day in paradise. Blueberries to snack on? My greedy self might have settled down and met you on the way back down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just amaze me. What a glorious day, through your eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful! So glad you are able to enjoy the beautiful weather, the exercise, and the gorgeous views :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a hard hike but looks wondrous! These great vistas are incredible as is your group!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you always earn your ice cream (and your glass of wine.) LOVE the view from the top! holy cow! you have such magnificent beauty surrounding you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've said it before. People don't know what they're missing by first not hiking and second being above the treeline. A glorious day makes it that much better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Stunning. And blueberries too. Ice Cream always tastes great after hiking. Or in our case, usually biking. Thanks for letting me know you're reading one of my reviewed books! I hope you like it. I'm reading a great book right now. LaRose.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! I just love fall hikes in the mountains on a sunny day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Besides fantastic views, cool company, insuring your health, you also get to enjoy berries and ice cream. A pure win of a day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Being afraid of heights, this one would have been a doozy for me. Looks like perfect hiking weather, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been walking daily and for the first time in years as I read about your hike, I actually felt like I could do that. That is good...right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like you had just spectacular weather for that hike. How I wish I could join you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As you say ... what a day! And some great photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful photos and a great way to top off the end of the hike!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow.. what incredible photos.. what a view. You and your hiking crew are just amazing. And now I want ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a totally fun day with such amazing views. I love the ice cream, but I love the idea of eating wild blueberries on your hike even more.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a pretty day for a hike! I would not do well so high up with so far down...you rock! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You gals and guy deserve that ice cream. It looks like a very strenuous hike. I like the faraway photo of Mel which really shows the incline. Get some Arnica gel for those knees!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That was a steep hike, but so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.