Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Fairhaven Park to Chuckanut Falls

Arroyo Park bridge

Today thirteen Senior Trailblazers hiked from Fairhaven Park to Chuckanut Falls and back, a trip of just under six miles, with around 850 feet of elevation gain and loss. Obviously not a huge and challenging hike, but one with some of the most beautiful scenery one can imagine. We hiked from Fairhaven park near the tennis courts into the Hundred Acre Woods, and from there to the Interurban trail, which takes us to this lovely bridge, which was under construction for years after having been struck by a falling tree.

Some of today's hikers

I didn't see any trillium today, although I'm sure there are still plenty in bloom, but I did see lots and lots of bleeding heart plants by the side of the trail. It was, as I said, a simply gorgeous day, with full sun after an hour or so, but it was never very warm. By the end of the week, it will be warmer and probably out of my comfort zone. I do wilt when it's really hot, but today's mild temperatures and full sunshine were just right.

Chuckanut Falls

When we got to the falls, we saw a respectable amount of water cascading festively down the cliff. There have been times when I've seen it with no water, and others when it was twice as full as today. From this point, we turned around and retraced our steps back to the trailhead. It was a lovely day, and our leader, Joe, reminded us that he didn't get lost in the Hundred Acre Woods, for once. It helped that he had a GPS tracker on his phone.  I have to admit that I do like these shorter, easier hikes. But I'm not yet willing to miss out on the longer, harder ones. Yet.

:-)

8 comments:

  1. It is all relative. This 'shorter, easier' hike would do me in. For days. I am so grateful to share some of the walk with you and continue to be impressed at your stamina and determination. I am also thrilled you had such a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a perfect day for hiking and enjoying the trails and the plant life without the discomfort of too much heat. It’s great that you have the flexibility to enjoy both the easier hikes and the more demanding ones. Thanks for sharing your hiking adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your "easier" hikes are still impressive to me, and very pleasurable besides.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always meet the challenge. Get out there and hike. You'll never regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Chuckanut Falls is one of my favorites of your hikes... and I love the name.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fresh air and some exercise, what's not to like?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The photos are great! The first is so inviting and I can hear the water running in the last. Great shot of the group too.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.