Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Wandering to Whatcom Falls

In Whatcom Falls Park

Today was expected to be hot, but eleven Happy Wanderers met at the Senior Center to take a walk from there to Whatcom Falls Park and back. And when we were in the shade, it was pretty darn perfect, but as the morning wore on and we were in full sun, it felt more than a little hot. Yesterday here in Bellingham we reach 86°F (30°C) under an excessive heat warning. Yes, I know this is nothing compared to what much of the country is experiencing, but it sure felt hot to me. Last night our bedroom temperature only fell to 72, which is almost too hot for me to sleep. I did manage some, but this is hard on us PNW fragile flowers.

Ina and totem pole

We had a delightful walk in the park (so to speak), and made it all the way to the restrooms before turning around and going back pretty much the way we had come. Since our leader, Terry, was a little unsure of the best way to return, she kept checking her phone for directions.

"I think we want to turn here"

Fortunately, one of the Trailblazers lives in the neighborhood, and she helped us find a reasonable way for us to return back to downtown and the Senior Center. You can see how lovely a day it was.

Low water

We crossed a familiar bridge, but I hardly recognized the stream below us, since the water level is so low it seemed strange to experience such dryness. Even the falls are just a trickle right now.

What's left of Whatcom Falls

Although the falls are just a shadow of what they will be once the rains return, they are still very beautiful. I loved standing on the bridge and enjoying the moment with my new hiking friends. We dawdled a lot when we were in a place like this, and then finally we found a place to stop and have a bit to eat. We ended up going either as short as 6.5 miles, or as long as 7.8 miles, depending on whose device you believed. It felt around seven miles to me. Once we returned to the Senior Center and made our way home, I decided to stop by the community co-op and have a buffet lunch and a delicious coconut water drink to replenish my electrolytes. 

All in all, it was a lovely day, and we were all happy to be out and about in our lovely neighborhood with our friends. We once again lived up to our name, the Happy Wanderers.

:-)

11 comments:

  1. I think 86 degrees is plenty hot, no matter where you are. It looked like a beautiful hike, and I really dug the totem pole pic by your hippy twin. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wandering is a good term. You go a bit where you want and change on the go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 30 degrees is way too hot for my wimpy self. Well done on braving it. I am glad that you and the other wanderers had a happy time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don’t know if I could hike that far in that heat. Well done, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 72 degrees at night! I would need to pull up the quilt! Our AC comes on at 5:30 am if the temp is over 80 degrees in the house, and I get cold. See, the reason I like summer over winter. We never let the house get as warm as 80 in the winter time. But, I love 80 degrees!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 86F is hot to hike, but how pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a bit warm for you to hike, I bet you worked up a sweat! I like it about 67 at night...but that only happens in the winter:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was 78 outside and inside here in Seatac when we went to bed last night. We opened the windows and put in the box fans just to have moving air. That helps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was a hot day to hike for me, too! But you really have such a good group to hike with. So happy for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the falls look great just the way they are now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just realized that people could get lost on your hiking paths.
    Thank goodness for cell phones!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.