Thursday, August 17, 2023

Thinking about the mountains

Looking at Mt Baker from the Boundary Way hike

 I didn't go with the Senior Trailblazers again today, but I did consider it, ruminating hard on whether to go even though it's still pretty hot outside (it's more than 81°F here in Bellingham right now), and partly because of the long drive. I decided not to investigate Cowap Peak and Boundary Way again. This picture (above) was taken in 2009, when I did the hike with the Trailblazers. That was fourteen years ago, and although it wasn't a hard hike, it took all day long to navigate the long access road (15 miles) to get there, make the hike, and return. I just don't have the same oomph or desire these days to spend all day long making the trip.

Don't get me wrong: I am still a little sorry I didn't go, because I enjoy the company of my newest hiking friends, and because I feel a bit like a wimp. We have been having way too hot weather for my liking, and this morning the final straw that made me decide not to go was when I looked at the temperature in Glacier (partway up the Mt. Baker Highway) where we used to stop for ice cream in the old days. The temperature at altitude was five degrees warmer than down here at sea level! Nope, I said to myself, the hot weather is still around and I am not ready to exercise these old bones in the heat. I'm sure they had a good time without me, darn it.

Ward and Linda in 2009

This lovely picture of two of my favorite people was taken in front of the peaks that separate Canada from the United States and are called Boundary Peaks because of it. Plus it was really nice to reminisce once again about these two hikers who also don't venture out on these long treks any more. 

Instead, I went to the coffee shop as usual and decided to take the Zumba class at the Senior Center before heading back home to spend some time with my guy before making a quick trip to the grocery store. I was again surprised to see that a few of my usual items have increased in price. When will that ever end? In any event, I made it back home and have enjoyed catching up on reading the latest posts from my virtual family. Now it's early afternoon and I'm wondering if the hikers have returned yet. One very large portion of my mind was with them all day, anyway. Hope they had a good time.

Whatcom Falls, day before yesterday

I did want to show you the full picture of the usually roaring falls taken on our hike last Tuesday; I did post another picture, but I realized from a couple of comments that, even though they are sparse, they are still very lovely. And also to remind myself that I did get a little "forest bathing" this week, didn't I?

:-)

13 comments:

  1. Give yourself a break. I myself don't do much of anything in the heat. It reached 90 here again today. I did my two rounds of PT and got a haircut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Decisions, decisions. Thee comes a time when you have to be picky. So it might have been too hot! You've been there a number of times. There's lots to do in town. You should be okay with that decision. Be happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear you just thought of the hike, the heat is not kind to us older folks. Hope you find a short hike on Saturday:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup those falls are in a nice setting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad that you were thinking of yourself and you still got some exercise too. Love the shot of the falls, even if they are smaller than usual.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, you still got some forest bathing done this week. There comes a time when you have to choose if something will do more harm than good. You want to love your hikes. Life's too short--go for the good. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wise to stay away from the hike in the heat. Zumba was strenuous enough for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't been around for a while, but it's good to see you're still here ad thriving. But, ya know, just because you didn't go on the hike doesn't mean you can't stop for ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have a good time, but it would have been better with your company. I struggled on the hike- I know last year I hiked without a complaint. I felt like a wimp, but I’m glad I went. I agree with Tom, stop for ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that pic of Whatcom Falls! And think you were wise to not go out in the heat...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to avoid exercise in that excessive heat. You still got some limb work in with the zumba class. I need to get out today for a walk but am feeling lazy. Have been away with the grandkids for a week and feel exhausted.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear DJan, after several months of problematic health issues, I'm trying today--not to climb the mountain as you normally do and hit the trails--but to begin to read blogs again. The vertigo that began in February is not here today and so I'm taking this opportunity to say, "Hello!" I hope this year has been a good one for you--whatever that now means in your lexicon of aging. Here in western Missouri we are experiencing high humidity and heat index. Yesterday the air temperature was 98 and the heat index was 117. Yes, a 19 degree difference. Today is the same. I am so grateful that I get social security and can afford to use the air conditioner on these really hot days.
    Enough for now. Just know you to know that daily I think of you and the other virtual friends I've made since 2011 when I began to read blogs. Life is good and friends make it so much better. Peace from Dee and the cats.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.