Thursday, August 24, 2023

Fall is in the air

Falling leaves and overcast skies

 We are definitely seeing the first signs of fall around here, including nice cool weather (I think the high temperature yesterday was 68°F (20°C), but already today (Thursday) it's much warmer. And the picture I show here was taken two days ago; you can already see that the leaves are beginning to fall.

Today I decided once again to skip the long drive for the Thursday hike, since I had such a nice time on Tuesday and didn't feel the need to drive two hours each way for a four- or five-hour-long hike. Plus I woke this morning to another orange sun, although the air quality is in the good range, there is a lot of smoke in the air from distant fires in British Columbia and even a few here as well.

Yesterday I went to a Senior Center monthly meeting, my first time in what is called a "low vision" support group. It made me thankful for the sight I still have, and now I'm beginning to understand what I still have to deal with in the future. Most of the people in the group are suffering from macular degeneration, as I do, or with side effects from strokes. Most of these people use a cane and no longer drive. Next month we will have a speaker from WTA (Whatcom Transit Authority) to find out about special transit and, for those who don't already use it, the regular bus schedules that are offered seven days a week.

I've been using the bus system for years now, since once you reach 75, you receive a "gold card" that allows you to ride for free. Those over 65 but under 75 pay half fare, and those with disabilities have other arrangements as well. I'll learn more next month, but I am feeling very glad to have others to talk with about how they manage, and what's available for those with vision impairments of all kinds.

Right now I am able to function quite normally, and I even drive short distances in bright sunlight. I'm able to use a regular laptop and my iPad normally. I use my Kindle and readers to see larger print, but I need to take breaks often, as my eyes get tired very quickly. After a few minutes of rest, I can pick up a book and continue reading. Gone are the days when I could read for hours at a time and never even notice a problem. I do notice that computer screens are easiest for me to use, since the type is illuminated from behind the letters, and that makes all the difference. It was fascinating to see how others have adjusted to their diminishing sight. And it was encouraging to learn about what options are available to us as we age.

It also makes me very happy that the one ability that doesn't seem to have diminished is my ability to think, write, and contemplate. That doesn't mean I am as mentally sharp today as I was twenty or thirty years ago, but then again, I am doing everything I can to eat right, exercise, and use my brain in new ways. I've learned how to solve sudoku puzzles lately, and although I can't say it's fun exactly, I sure do like the feeling of accomplishment when I've completed one. And of course I love Wordle and play it every day. How about you? Are you enjoying stretching that aging brain? If so, what tricks do you have that you're willing to share?

:-)

12 comments:

  1. Two hours each way for a 4-5 hour hike? I thought you went on ones much closer than that, I'd be half-tuckered out from the drive alone. Well DJan I am sorry to read about the macular degeneration, but I sure admire how you handle it. As for tips, I get most of mine from you :^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are more puzzles than I have time for. Puzzles are a great way to stay sharp. I need to do more jigsaw puzzles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really admire your positive attitude. I try and keep learning things in an attempt to keep my brain sharp(ish). And inspired by you I am trying to be more physically active too. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have so much fun with your Tuesday group that--no--the long trip and long hike don't sound very appealing. I'm so glad you have such a fun hiking group to be a part now.

    And the group with the vision issues sounds like a good group, too. With my macular puckers my eyes tire easily--especially with smaller print. The laptop is enough for me in a day. I get headaches (sometimes aural) with too much reading. But I feel I am still functioning nearly normally most of the time as far as eyesight goes. I can tell things shift around in the back of my eye, though, as there are times where my vision gets a lot worse for a while--can be for days. So far it has gotten better again after while. I feel lucky. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wordl and Sudoku are daily activities here. We recently bought a puzzle to do with the kids which we are still working on. Only 500 pieces but quite difficult. We exercise every day and eat a variety of salads. We do what we can…

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are doing all the right things, DJan. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This afternoon Tom and I are going to a Brain Health interview, as part of a brain health study through Kaiser Permanente and USC. They want Tom to come ot offer "background". I guess in case i forget who I am. :-) I am a bit nervous about memory questions, but it will be good to find out if I have any concerning issues.
    I work the Wordle every day, and the Jumble in the newspaper. Writing blogs and blog responses helps me to remember vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. DJan, I find writing (blog or book) keep my brain active. It sometimes surprises me at the words my mind comes up with that fit a situation...(even though I may have to google it to make sure that it's being used in the right context). DH and I also wordle each day. And I think the low vision support group is a good idea. It always helps to have tips from others going through the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your weather sounds so enticing. I just received a “heat advisory” on my cell phone, to last 2 days. Right now it feels like 105 F, and they advise elders not to go outside. Helpful to be able to use buses in your town. Public transportation in TN is a shame. It sounds like you are on top of your health; doing everything right and I applaud you. Me to stay aware I drive the about 5 hours one way each month from Nashville to Atlanta and back on two busy super highways with huge trucks, staying two inches from me usually…have to keep watching them. I also keep reading my books in both English and French. When the house in GA is finished and sold I’ll go back to re-study my Italian as I used to speak it fluently, but no more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Today, while out on a lunch and book sale excursion with my 103 year old friend, we discussed strategies for sudoku. Our newspaper has daily puzzles with Monday being the easiest, and Friday being the most difficult.

    On Sunday we have monster sudokus which includes number 0 and letters A-F. Those take hours of deliberation and are great for bringing on long flights to pass the time.

    Thankfully my eyesight is okay (and the 103 year old doesn't even use glasses). I hope you can stabilize or improve your vision and continue on your hikes and journeys for a long long time.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.