Thursday, August 3, 2023

Another day without a hike

Cornwall Rose Garden #1

I didn't go out with the Senior Trailblazers again today. I just couldn't get myself excited about a two-hour drive to hike somewhere I've suffered through in the heat during past years. It was a trip to Watson Lakes, which I last did in 2018. You can see what the trip was like then at the link here. Once I read it and reminded myself that it's very hot and sunny today, I decided to skip it. Again. That's two Thursdays in a row, and I guess without Melanie to take me on some of our old favorites, I'm in danger of turning into a regular old person, not going out on a hike every week.

Cornwall Rose Garden #2

Instead, I just made my usual walk from the Rose Garden and took pictures of the pretty flowers. Instead of my usual step count on Thursday, I'm lucky I have garnered 9,500 for the day (about 3-5,000 less than usual for a Thursday). And here it is, late in the afternoon, and I'm already feeling tired enough to think about how nice it will feel to get horizontal.

Yesterday, I went to see Oppenheimer with my friend John. It was a disappointment, not because the movie wasn't really pretty good, but the sound was so loud that the words were all distorted and it was already a very difficult story to follow. I complained about the volume, but the theater only gave me some headphones to wear, which helped somewhat, but not enough. My hearing aides were turned all the way down, but still. And for three hours, John and I suffered through the ordeal, not happy at all about seeing the movie. I had seen Barbie in the same theater last week, and it was fine, so it was something that could have been remedied. I don't think I'll be going back to that theater any more.

That said, the second half of the movie was better, since I did begin to follow the story, and afterwards I looked up the accuracy to find out if all the events were true ones, and sure enough, it was quite true. I didn't realize that Oppenheimer had been pilloried so badly after having invented the atomic bomb and having regrets about the incredible loss of life in Japan. It was a very sad story, and here we are still living with the threat of nuclear war every day. It was well done but not uplifting at all.

Cornwall Rose Garden #3

So, on that note, I will need to find something that will raise my spirits, which looking at these pictures of pretty roses does somewhat. And I think I need to find a good quote. How about some good old brainyquotes?
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart. —Helen Keller
Or this:
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. —Joseph Campbell

I especially need to listen to Joseph, and remember that when I'm needing a lift. And yes, I'm feeling better! I hope you are finding your own path to navigate the shoals of life, and finding a way to enjoy the inevitable ups and downs.

:-)

15 comments:

  1. You a regular old person? NEVER! There are many things to do other than hiking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always find other means of getting in some exercise every week. You're just being smart to listen to your body (and memory)--lol!
    I figured that would be one heavy movie to watch. When it comes out one day on streaming somewhere I can get to I will watch it, but have to be in the right frame of mind. The theater always did overdo a lot on sound, if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THUMP. That sound was me falling on the floor laughing hysterically at you being a regular old person. And I will blame you for my very real difficulties in getting up again.
    The cinema is often way too loud for me.
    Thank you for those beautiful (and uplfting) roses and the very wise quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You may not have gone on a hike, but you did go for a long walk. Neither of those flicks appeal to me. I guess I will continue to be content watching my mystery series at home. But good for you for getting out there -- both walking and watching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about the movie DJan, rather the deafening volume. It was probably 10 years ago, but I can still remember going to see Superman with my sister and the sound being so loud we walked out of the theater. As for Oppenheimer, I've been reading up on him, he was a tortured soul. On a more positive note, I loved Helen and Joseph's quotes.. very uplifting. Hope you have a good weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't watch movies in the theater anymore so I don't envy your ordeal. Anyway, Oppenheimer doesn't sound like a movie that would interest me, either. Beautiful quotes to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A 2hr drive to go for a walk seems excessive when you have so many trails much closer. The roses are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two weeks in a row! Just don't you become a couch potatoe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the "regular old person" is pretty funny too. Speaking as a regular old person, you have a ways to go, my dear.
    We talked about "Oppenheimer" at breakfast this morning, and my two friends who just saw it really liked it. I haven't been in a theater for quite a while, but we might go see it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will wait for it to be on Netflix! Sorry you had problems with the sound. Those roses are very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This heat will pass soon enough. Hang in there, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You were wise, not lazy, to skip a walk that is too hot for too long. You'll have more cooler days and shorter adventures to consider. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here it is way too hot to walk outside. Been over 100 F for 12 days and will continue through the week we're told. Supposed to be 107 F tomorrow. But we do walk at the AC Senior Center. However, we're lucky to do 2000 steps... on occasion 4,000 but hardly ever more than that.

    I'm not interested in seeing Oppenheimer... although we probably will when it is streamed (don't care for real life depressing stories). Barbie didn't interest me either until I saw some trailers and it looked light-hearted and funny - so maybe.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.