Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Hike canceled this morning

Sunrise yesterday morning

 No, the air quality is not the reason our hike was canceled this morning, because the air quality around here improved quickly when a front moved in, hopefully bringing us some wanted rain. When I went outside, the air felt okay, but I could feel a little irritation, and as you can see from our orange sunrise, it wasn't wonderful.

So, I drove today to the coffee shop and then went off to the Senior Center to meet my fellow Happy Wanderers for a nice around-town excursion. But when I arrived, I learned that our leader had decided to cancel our hike because of possible lightning in the area. However, it didn't happen, but then again, neither did the rain. We received a disappointing .05 inch of rain last night. Barely enough to wet the streets, and certainly not enough to keep the wildfires that surround our area in check.

Fortunately for me, there were seven of us who didn't get the message that the hike had been canceled, so we went off together for a quick walk in the nearby neighborhoods. We did make it all the way to the Barkley area, where I knew there was a grocery store that would allow me to pop in for a quick bathroom break. A couple of my fellow hikers are familiar with the area, so I did get to see a home where the owner was busy revamping his front yard. 

Rocks with some painted ones interspersed

He was busy tearing out some green grass and replacing it with rocks like these, a few small plants, and his wife's painted rocks mixed in throughout. He said that if any of the rocks grabbed us and we wanted to take one, to feel free. We didn't, but I sure did enjoy looking at them. You have to take your time and enlarge the picture, if you want to get the full display. He said he is looking to make his entire garden into one that no longer requires so much water to be beautiful, and he definitely is making progress in that regard.

I was a little sad that we didn't have a wonderful hike like we had last Tuesday, but it was understandable that Barb didn't want to take any chances with the weather. We have another chance at a bit of rain this evening, so perhaps we'll get more, if not a real soaking like we'd prefer. It seems like everywhere these days there is either too much or too little precipitation.

I'm worried for my sister's home in Florida, where she lives a few miles inland and a little south of Tampa. This hurricane Idalia looks very scary, with it projected to make landfall tonight. Looking at the projections on TV, it looks like the storm surge will be substantial, although I do hope everyone is able to stay safe. 

I just saw a text from the person leading our usual Thursday hike, and he's suggested that we modify it because of unsettled weather for the next few days. So, I might be going on another hike if he decides not to drive all the way up to the Artist Point. As he says, there might be some local rain to play in, rather than driving seventy miles for the same chance. We'll see. Keep your fingers crossed for Florida to make it through this upcoming storm, as will I.

:-)

12 comments:

  1. I like how the guy is adding in painted rocks plus pulling out the grass. I have lots of trees, shrubs and flowers and no grass, here in California we need to conserve water. I hope your air clears and I know you will have some good hikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the gardeners way to retain beauty AND conserve water. All power to him. I like his wife's painted rocks too.
    I hope you do get some real rain - we could do with it too. And hikes. And will cross my fingers for those in the way of the upcoming hurricanes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed that rocks photo (and I always blow up your awesome photos). Well DJan, you always manage to make your outdoor excursions and adventure, and this was no exception. It sounded like a lot of fun. I'm so sorry about your sister, I just finished watching the story on ABC News and wondered if there was anyone there I knew. Keeping my fingers crossed for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sunrise looks beautiful. Love the colorful small rocks. Take care and be safe

    ReplyDelete
  5. The weather is worrying. Too much rain or not enough rain, it seems there are problems everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about the meager rainfall. Apparently, we had quite a storm last night, but I slept through it. I guess that I sometimes sleep soundly, even if I don't sleep long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are all praying for Florida and any areas hit by this storm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope your sister's house is spared, and that she is safe. Wishing her the best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Prayers for Florida from this area for sure. We never know with the ocean temperatures these days when we will get one here too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We got ,27 inches of rain in the last 24 hours. Yay! But then that seems like a poor thing to cheer about when parts of Florida are being inundated. Let us know about your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are watching the storm here too. I was concerned for N.O., but cousin there says it shouldn't be headed that way... but towards and across Florida. Hoping it isn't as bad as it looks and that your sister and her family will be fine.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.