Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Our belated Christmas breakfast

Our holiday gathering, a few days late

Although it's not a very ancient tradition, both Lamont and Lily have invited a few special friends to join them at Avenue Bread for a lovely Christmas Eve gathering for the past few years. This year, we couldn't even get out of our driveways, so we had a belated gathering this morning, the Tuesday after Christmas. In the foreground on either side of the table are Paula, Gene's special friend, and Gene, looking very Santa-ish with his lovely full beard. Next on the left are me and Lily, and Lamont and John on the right. I had a smoked salmon omelette with their famous home fries, which are different from other places but very, very tasty. I was very full after we finished, but I didn't let that stop me from finishing it all. I did leave a little of the sourdough bread, but I ate everything else.

Lily and Lamont have started bowling a couple times a week, since they now live near an alley, and they asked me if I would join them today. Since I had promised to do so awhile back, I agreed that today would be a good day. We played two games, and I was surprised at how much fun it was, even though you can probably guess who was thrilled to have made two spares (no strikes) in two games, and came in last but still had a very good time with a couple of forgiving friends. The game has changed somewhat since I last played many years ago. It's all computerized now, and when you make a gutter ball, the entire screen makes sure everyone knows it! I will join them again, and I can see how you can get quite obsessed with the game.

Me at the bowling alley

I hope my arm will not be too sore from throwing the nine-pound ball down the alley twenty times, but it reminded me that I need to get back to some regular weight lifting. Another thing the pandemic cost me was my usual twice-a-week strength and tone classes at the Y. You don't think you're doing much, but I was accustomed to some light soreness the next day even using just three- and five-pound weights.

I'm eating that nose right now

I am also accustomed to getting up and finding such delights as this one on the kitchen counter created by my dear partner. There's no doubt he'll see some whimsy and find a way to share it with me. I'm pretty lucky, with friends and family like I've got, there's no dearth of smiles and happy moments around here. Now that the weather is actually kind of nice, back to wind and rain, our old friends, it's like all the holiday diversions never really happened. Only one more week to navigate before we enter a brand-new shiny year!

:-)

15 comments:

  1. It sounds like a lovely breakfast with friends. Have a great week, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fun and the whimsy on the counter - and am smiling at you starting on the nose.
    I love your fun breakfast and your bowling expedition too. I do hope that you are not too sore - and that you can go back and have more fun with friends soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a nice time with friends! And waking up to whimsy--how can you beat that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not bowled for more than 30 years. I liked bowling but as not good at it. However, we need something that's fun to keep us active.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you decided on the postponed dinner. Looks like a fun group and the food sounded great.
    Bowling huh? Boy has it been a long time for me but I use to really enjoy it though that blabbermouth scoreboard now days sounds intimidating:)
    What a sweetie SG is to provide you with such cute surprises. He is a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful to have a partner that plays like a kid with your food! The computer screens in the bowling alley are nice; enlarges what happens so we aren't squinting to see how many pins are knocked down. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  7. After Christmas gatherings are just as good or better. Looking forward to a wonderful new year - may you have the same blessings and more that you do enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very nice gathering DJan, and I am most impressed with Gene's full beard! I have to admit, I can't imagine a smoked salmon omelette, that must be a Washington thing. Anyway, the bowling looked fun too--you sure are full of surprises :^)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always like to see friends gathered together for food and fun. Good outing, DJan!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a nice cozy place, with nice helpful friends. And good for you for striking out to try a new activity in your spare time. (Okay, go ahead and groan.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our cable, which went out with the power outage Monday morning, was restored overnight. I can now use my computer! It's not raining and Tom has been outside doing some clean up. I am getting back to time on the stationary, working back gradually to 30 minutes. Yes, we are getting back to normal too. It feels good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I was in college I had a job accompanying some mentally challenged people on some fun outings. They loved going bowling with me because I was so bad at it.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.