Thursday, December 22, 2022

No hike today

Behind the counter at my favorite coffee shop

We, Melanie and I, didn't venture out to hike anywhere today. Although it's way more conducive to outdoor activity today than it has been for the past few days, it's still super cold and, even if the wind has moderated, it's still not much fun out there. Both Senior Trailblazer groups canceled their hikes and suggested that people stay indoors during the worst of the weather. We have a foot of snow (still) on the ground, and such cold temperatures that slick sidewalks are not an issue. There aren't any exposed sidewalks!

Where did the chickens go?

John picked me up and drove me to our coffee shop, where we enjoyed a very nice time inside a warm and cozy place, and then he took me home. I didn't want to venture out after my last attempt, when the cold wind made me really miserable. But today, a little after noon, I realized that the wind had moderated somewhat, so I walked to the bus stop. I noticed that the chickens in the chicken coop have been taken out of the severe weather, and I hope they are enjoying their vacation from the pen and have not been turned into dinner. I think I'll see them again once the weather improves. I hope.

There's a path under the snow

I walked in the street for most of the way, since the sidewalks are knee-deep in snow. As you can see from this picture, it's not a very easy walk. See the huge snowdrift behind? That was from the snowplow, I suspect.

Little snowdrifts making patterns

I do like looking at the wind sculptures in the many places where the snow accumulates. And I did need to find something to put into my usual Thursday post. Although it's not much, at least I got a teeny bit of exercise (but needed to dodge cars every few minutes). We have more snow coming tonight, so I don't know if I could repeat or add onto today's venture out. We'll see. 

This bad weather is pretty much everywhere right now, or if not in your area yet, it's on the way! So, please stay safe and warm, if possible. I am so blessed to have a warm apartment that is so much nicer than being outdoors with nowhere to get out of the elements. My heart goes out to those who are homeless and hope they can stay safe during this awful weather.

:-(


18 comments:

  1. It appears the whole continent is going to be hit with this system. We are having high winds and rain from the back end of the system, like Fiona really, starting tomorrow evening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You still have a foot of snow!? Christmas has practically been cancelled here due to the forecast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. DJan, I was very curious what you'd be sharing today and as always, your photos do not disappoint. I like seeing the outdoors (and rare indoors) views from your perspective. I'm glad you stayed safe for the most part, even though you still managed to venture out, and there is something to be said for the security of a warm apartment. :^) If I don't talk to you again soon, I've very much enjoyed your travels here this past year & hope you have a safe and happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stay safe and warm! Merry Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you could get out for a bit anyway. It is 5 degrees right now, snowing and I can hear the wind whistling. Pretty sure the wind chill is way into the negatives. Will be like this for several days. I'm not leaving the house and I can barely get Callie to go outside to pee. If she messes inside, I will just clean it up without complaint. Stay safe and warm my friend. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm amazed at how much now you have, No wonder air travel is at a standstill.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. Here, after a chilly start to the season things are warming up and some parts of Oz are expected to reach 45C (113F) in the days after Christmas.
    Stay safe, stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a lot of snow, and chilly to be out and about, the coffee shop sounds more suitable,
    Our first snow of the season fell overnight, three days of artic weather and I'm already over Winter :)
    Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a happy New Year dear friend.
    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  10. We had freezing rain last night, and the windows were iced this morning. Temperatures have since risen above freezing, so the windows have cleared. Now comes regular rain followed by snow overnight.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I hope those chickens didn't get fried. Merry Christmas to you and SG, DJan!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too hope the chickens are somewhere safe and warm (not too warm as in an oven). But I did enjoy the pics, DJan... a warm cozy coffee shop sounds great. We are not venturing out. It's Friday now and temps this morning were 10 F... but should be rising into the teens and early 20's later today. Still too cold for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's miserably cold here too 25° with wind chill of 9°

    I'm ready for summer. lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. You really did get the snow! As I said in my post today, we lucked out with the "ice storm", and we're glad that the severe cold is moderating, even if it does mean lots of rain.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're very intrepid! Even my wife B didn't go out to walk today .. and she goes out every day, rain or shine. But I don't blame her. It's 8 degrees! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It seems like yesterday when our days of summer were too hot, and now you have snow and ice everywhere. They will pass and spring is just around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi DJan, I just looked at the last 2 DJanity posts. Thanks for all the pictures! I’ve wondered how you were getting along up there in BHam. I hope you didn’t have an ice storm like Seattle did yesterday. I definitely needed Microspikes just to go out of the house. Wow. Love that first image in your December 20 post. Great capture of the snow. Take care up there and stay warm! Merry Christmas to you and SG! John

    ReplyDelete
  18. Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones.
    Christmas greetings and best wishes from Viola

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.