Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Not our usual weather

Scene when we arrived at the coffee shop

It was very cold and blustery when I went to bed last night, but I really didn't know whether the forecast for snow would pan out or not. We have been told many times that it would snow, a fair amount even, and then not show even a stingy snowflake or two. 

It was so cold last night that I began to think it was too cold for snow. Hah! Color me wrong, as I woke to heavy snowfall and really frigid temperatures, like –10°C (15°F) and the scene looked like the picture above. John called me and said he had cleared off his truck and would be around to pick me up for our usual coffee date within a few minutes. He said to BE READY. I walked outside to consider what clothes I might need, pulled on long underwear for insurance, and found a pair of short gaiters to add to my shoes to keep the snow out of my socks and boots. Finally all geared up, I walked out to see a real winter wonderland. John's chariot pulled up in the dark, ready to take me on an adventure!

My front porch "flowers"

Yes, there is no doubt that we received somewhere close to ten inches or so of snow! And for tomorrow, while the snow may be over, the cold is not. It will be extremely cold for another couple of days, before the weather moderates and the snow changes over to rain, our familiar winter companion. Until then, we will muddle through. 

I found my missing Microspikes to strap onto my boots for walking, and I might try them out today if the sun actually makes an appearance. I can see that there are some breaks in the clouds already, and it sure would be nice to get in a few steps. You know I am addicted to exercise, right? But I am also cautious and don't want to hurt myself by taking too many unnecessary chances.

This cold weather looks like it will reach most of the nation before it's all said and done. And hopefully you will also take precautions and happily find some joy and holiday cheer for the upcoming week. Saturday is Christmas Eve!

:-)

20 comments:

  1. No snow here predicted But one chilling below freezing by Thursday!!
    Snow is pretty in pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Holidays and New Year DJan! You are missed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is extreme weather for your area, for sure. Hope it doesn’t last long, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How very, very beautiful. I am glad that John and his chariot arrived. Stay warm and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to both of you for getting out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought it has been too cold to snow, too. Nope! Be careful walking out there. Can be a lot of hidden ice under the snow. Glad you have the grippers for your shoes/boots, but still be really careful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I liked that first photo DJan! You be careful out there! I have the local news on as I type this, and Pittsburgh is predicted to set a new record for cold temps this Christmas weekend. I'm sure we won't get 10 in though, I envy yours. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had a foot of snow the other night, a typical winter day here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are going to set records here also but only slight chance for snow. Wind chills in the negative 30's for Thurs. Whee. Plan to watch it from my window. Stay warm and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We watched the snow spread across the northern tier and slowly creep southward. We got just under an inch, but the temperature went from 40 to 29 and now we have ice. Jake got a foot of snow in Friday harbor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would really like to share some of my cold with somebody...anybody. It's to be minus 39 tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You got so much snow! We were supposed to get some but (unscientific explanation), I never believe that we will unless the storm comes from the south. This one was from the north, I think. Those seem to peter out around Seattle and not reach P-town. Your friend is very game to pick you up for coffee in that kind of weather. I'm a wimp about driving in the snow/ice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks very festive but I don't envy you those temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Man, that looks frigid. I hate cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I also love that first photo, DJan. I enlarged it and it really is beautiful. As for the Arctic freeze coming tomorrow, I plan to remain inside by the fireplace until it passes. Stay warm!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad you like cold climates. I cannot imagine living in a place that has snow, which means the temperatures dip below freezing every day. I'm moaning about our 34 degree mornings and 41 degree afternoons and looking forward to summer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It has been quite cold here in Tucson also, though no snow. But husband asked for an extra blanket.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.