Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Decorations abound

Down the street, two decorated homes

 As I walked out the door this morning, armed with my headlamp, I saw these two well decorated homes just a few doors down from my own apartment dwelling. You cannot really see how pretty they are from this picture, as my iPhone camera lightened the dark sky and the street in front to make it more visible, I guess. But in any event, you can see that these homeowners decided to make it really pretty for those of us admiring their handiwork. 

It was an hour before sunrise, and without my headlamp I wouldn't have felt comfortable walking, as it was nowhere as light as the picture seems to indicate. I stopped to take the picture and then turned and headed off to catch the bus. I always give myself a few extra minutes, just in case of something like this, a need to photograph the scene. It is just over a half-mile walk and I manage it within a few minutes. But I don't walk all that briskly when I'm not sure of my footing. Although it was cold, well below freezing, it was dry and no wind to make it feel even colder.  I was dressed warmly and didn't feel the cold all that much.

John at "our" table in the coffee shop

When I walked up to the coffee shop door, I saw John sitting inside, and although again the camera decided to "help" the picture, I saw the reflection of lights on his right shoulder, and a few colored lights reflected on the right part of the window, as well. It was much more dramatic in my mind's eye, let me tell you, but I needed something to put in the Tuesday blog post, so here you are. I usually sit across the table from John, and our baristas know our orders so well that they don't even ask, just tell me to sit down and they bring it to me. It's nice to have such a well-oiled routine, don't you think?

Today I'll make a concerted effort to find a new yoga studio. It's time for me to reconcile to accept something less than the perfect place I had that is no more. Sigh. The pandemic was cruel to many shop owners, and our dear studio owner as decided to move back to Sweden, after so many years here in Bellingham. Times change, and people move on in life, after all.

:-)

16 comments:

  1. Good to see John! You are looking Christmasy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fairy lights on John's shoulder - and that you are so well known that your orders just 'magically' appear.
    Good luck with finding a new yoga studio - and have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can picture the walk and you doing it, Jan! Such a lovely routine! Good luck with the yoga studio search!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi DJan, I’m going to have to echo Far Side of Fifty … Good to see John. 😊 Actually, I’m quite envious of Bellingham John being able to enjoy coffee with you every Sunday morning. I see John appears to be busy with his computer. So, I can’t resist asking, and maybe you will tell us in a future post, does John read the newest Eye and do you guys discuss it over coffee? Always enjoy hearing about your walks. Best wishes on finding a new yoga studio. John

    ReplyDelete
  5. What pretty lights and to see them in the morning is a treat. Worry a bit about you walking in the dark. Hope you are armed (pepper spray at least).
    Hope you find a yoga studio that pleases you. Been a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing that today's cameras can fix things for us and make the better without our input.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It’s been surprising me how much the camera ‘helps’ with our photos. I wonder if there’s a way to stop it from ‘helping’ you so that you can get a more realistic photo. There’s way too much I just don’t know yet about my iPhone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oops! Sorry about that! I’m using my iPad and it won’t automatically put my name in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy smokes 🙄! This is Kay of Musings. I didn’t get enough sleep last night. My brain is tired.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We turn our outside lights off when we go to bed at 11:00. so they would not be on for walkers like you. Hmmm. Should we be leaving them on?
    It's nice to have "regulars" who know you and your orders. We have that most Fridays at breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, it was good to see John. Hope you find a good yoga studio. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice pictures! I hope you find a good yoga teacher soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really liked the photo of John through the window... and I do understand how the cameras (as good as they are) just can't or don't always pick up what your eyes see. And I agree with Patti that I worry a little about your walking so early by yourself in the dark...

    ReplyDelete
  14. DJan, I always enjoy your walk-alongs. Even if this wasn't a 'big news story', I still smiled at the idea of you & your cool headlamp (good for you) and it was nice seeing your friend John, and yes more holiday lights please :^)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am glad that John has recovered from his 2 shoulder surgeries. Good for him! I loved your photo of the Xmas lights. Pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have posted about this. Phones do a lot of helping. Often it is good. Sometimes it isn’t what we want.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.