Monday, March 14, 2022

Pi Day 2022

Frank showing off his timely sweatshirt

 This was taken on a Senior Trailblazers outing sometime before the pandemic hit. Frank is wearing this shirt on the day after Pi Day, which falls on March 14 every year, but we always hike on Thursdays. I don't join the group much any more, but I hear that Frank doesn't either. Times change, but I will always remember Frank as a truly gentle soul who took care of those of us who are not as strong as he is.

Do you know why today, March 14, is  known as Pi Day? It's because the date's digits are also the first three digits of pi (π) 3.14. Also, Albert Einstein was born on this day, and in 2009 it was declared to be a national holiday. Now remember we are talking about Pi, not Cow Pi as Frank's shirt suggests. The numbers 3, 1, and 4 are the three most significant figures of π in its decimal representation, which goes on and on and on...  3.1415926535 8979323846 2643383279 ... There is even a song to help you memorize the first 100 numbers, but I won't go there. You can look it up if you're really interested.

We are sitting here in the Pacific Northwest waiting for the atmospheric river headed our way. I walked home from the coffee shop without rain, but it's coming, and we are supposed to get somewhere around two or three inches in the next few days. I might have to curtail my walks, or maybe I'll head over to the YMCA for a workout, which I've avoided since Omicron emerged. Our statewide indoor mask mandates were lifted yesterday, and in shops and gyms fewer than half the people are still wearing masks inside. I'm one of them, but maybe one day before too long I'll feel safe not wearing one. I'll take it one day at a time. 

First leaves emerging

I have been walking right past the Cornwall Park Rose Garden, since there haven't been any roses, or even leaves, until now.These red leaves showed up last week. I'm not sure what the fine stringy bit is on these leaves; maybe some reader knows. They are too finely intertangled to take them off. Anyway, it's one more sign that spring is not far behind. I'll be looking for the first buds to show up soon. 

:-)

18 comments:

  1. I guess it's raining lightly now. My exercise today was housework, but I will miss not being able to go for a walk if the walk involves swimming in the atmospheric river.
    Happy Pi day. I have overripe bananas so I'll be making banana bread. No pie/pi today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Pi Day! I didn't know about it, and also it being Einstein's birthday makes it extra special for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you don’t have any flooding there or north of you in the Fraser Valley!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always forget it is Pi day till someone reminds me. You are that someone this year. Memorize all 100 numbers?? I am lucky to remember the first three. Glad you have an alternative to walks when the rain hits. I'm still masking here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew it was Pi day and was looking forward to coming home to a pie from a local bakery because Terry said he would go get one while I went to lunch with The Ladies Who Lunch. He didn't go, so no pie for dessert. I ate a cookie when I got home. Made me angry because I told him I would bring a sandwich from the lovely, famous restaurant we went to, and I carried through on my promise. He claims he will go tomorrow, which is NOT pi day, when he goes to get his hair cut. It's not like the bakery is very far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are those actually new leaves emerging?

    ReplyDelete
  7. there seems to be more interest in celebrating Pi day....more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Art wore his Einstein t-shirt today and we fully intended to eat a pie and totally forgot. We will have a belated pie tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I shoulda made a pi for dessert!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i now realize that I never really knew why it was called pi day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a busy time of year -- pi day, the Ides of March and St. Patrick's day all in the same week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, the Ides of March... we moved here to Texas during a sandstorm on March 15, 1971!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had forgotten the reasons for pi day...and I probably will again, but thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like dog hair to me, nice to see some green leaves. :) Happy Saint Urho's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Send some rain our way, as we are experiencing a drought. I intend to wear my mask forever. Don't let your guard down!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for your explanation of Pi Day. I think you have probably mentioned it before but I had forgotten. I hope you don't have as much rain fall as has been forecast and you can enjoy more walks without the rainwear.

    ReplyDelete
  17. At age 80 I don't get out and about so much anymore engaging in my any adventurous hobbies. Though I did manage to spend a month on the big Island in Hawaii recently. What fun that was

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.