Thursday, March 10, 2022

Another real favorite

Sunlight and shadow

 Melanie and I went on what is fast becoming another favorite hike of ours, the Chanterelle trail near Lake Whatcom. There are two places we can go from this trailhead, this trail and the one that follows the north shore of Lake Whatcom. But this one, to the viewpoint above the lake, is the one we took today.

Viewpoint overlooking Lake Whatcom

One of the nice parts of the Chanterelle hike is coming to this viewpoint at 2.5 miles, with the possibility of continuing upwards for another 2.5 miles (which we didn't do today because it was more than I wanted to do). Mel and I did venture up the trail from the viewpoint for around a quarter-mile, giving us another half-mile of distance before returning the way we had come. 

Last night the temperature dropped to below freezing, so we weren't in any hurry for an early start. There was little wind, so we were quite comfortable and extremely glad to be outdoors in the forest together. The other Trailblazers have taken on a lengthy and arduous hike today; I read where they were going and was glad I have a friend willing to take it easier on Thursdays, with me setting the pace.

Deep and dark tunnel ahead

As we started back to the viewpoint from the extended part of the trail, I saw what seemed to be a mysterious shady tunnel, but it was just a trick of the light. We entered and found ourselves back at the overlook. There weren't many possibilities for photos today, none that I haven't already shared many times here.

Mossy trees with licorice ferns

One thing nobody can deny: in regards to our Pacific Northwestern forests, there is no shortage of moss, giving us greenery year round. All the tiny buds on the trees are beginning to emerge as spring continues its advance, and I am looking forward to seeing the days grow longer and longer. Spring is less than two weeks away, March 20. But first we must go through the annoying changing of the clocks, where we lose the hour we "gained" in the fall. That happens this coming Sunday. I'm hoping this nonsense will stop one day, when somebody in power decides we've had enough.

We ended up hiking 1,100 feet up and down, and covered a little more than five miles before all was said and done. We saw a few other hikers, not many, but I suspect that before the day is over, more people will come out to enjoy the day. I sure hope so, and also hope that their mood is improved as much as mine was by again enjoying a forest bath. We were both reluctant to leave the trail, but since I'm older and not in as good shape as Mel, I am glad to be feeling like I still have some energy to spend for the rest of the day.

I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees. —Henry David Thoreau

:-)

15 comments:

  1. Nothing like a good walk in the woods. I have walked very little this winter as it's been very icy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a wonderful quote at the end of your post. The scenery on your doorstep is wonderful and awe inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh, DJ, I too am happy that you and Mel take the easier hikes!! It seems (at least for me tagging along) that these are less strenuous and much more fulfilling. The scenery is always perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thoreau knew what he was talking about. I never tire of your photos and adventures on the Chanterelle Trail, Jan. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is no way that lovely hike couldn't improve a mood. Just glad you have found the prefect hiking partner.
    Love that quote. Just a few powerful words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have the best hiking friend. Love the quote. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you get to walk. I haven't walked at all this week (except to run a few errands) Cold and rainy today. Going into the 20's tonight and 'possibly' snow. But spring is almost here... my favorite time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like that quote! Forest bathing is so refreshing, especially in our abundantly green PNW forests.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That view of the lake is astonishing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always love the green moss and ferns in your PNW.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just finished watching "The Art of Racing in the Rain" - about a man who is a race car driver and his dog and family. It was filmed in Seattle - which I found quite interesting since I hardly know the city, and in one scene, the wife is hiking with the dog, and I thought of you and how you love to hike.
    As far as movies go, it was okay. I really did like the glimpse into different sides of Seattle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad you had such a lovely walk with Melanie. It's great that you have a partner to go at your pace, although your pace is pretty tough. I wouldn't last even 2 miles with you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A woods bath, I like that! I am also so thankful that you have Mel to hike with! We are getting almost spring like temperatures this week with highs in the 30's...so looking forward to warmth!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Chanterelle trail looks great. Thanks for telling us about your Thursday hike.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You always go so high up ... I'm impressed! When I go for a walk, I stay on the flats.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.