Monday, March 7, 2022

Early signs of spring

First daffodil of the season

I was so pleased to see that the early daffodils are already beginning to bloom in various gardens I encounter on my walk home from the coffee shop. And when the sun comes out as well, who can resist these lovely sights? Certainly not me. It helps to raise my spirits, since they have been rather low as I continue to watch the news and read about the awful invasion of Ukraine. 

Yesterday I did myself no favors when I saw a picture of an entire family, two young daughters, their mother, and a family friend all murdered by shelling while they were trying to escape the violence. The only thing still alive was a family pet in a carrier. I wondered what happened to it, hoping that someone who is also fleeing would see it and carry it to safety. It was either a cat or small dog, from what I could tell from peering through the door, trying to see if it survived the onslaught. 

Why didn't I just turn off the TV at that point? Tears sprang to my eyes, and I wondered how those in the midst of the invasion with no way out must be feeling. Although it's spring there, too, the darkness of the war must be the only thing anybody is aware of. Just writing about it is enough to cause me to despair. I need to take care of myself and my mental state, I know. But there is so little I can do to help, other than to provide some small amount to UNICEF as I continue to feel the pinch of inflation and rising prices all around me.

During the month of April, I will visit the tulip gardens in Skagit Valley, a real treat not only for the eyes, but also for the soul. I'm looking forward to it, and the month of March will pass quickly enough, so I'm not trying to hurry it. Every day is a blessing to be cherished, and I will do that, not just for me, but also for those suffering through a miserable war. 

:-{

17 comments:

  1. Countries need to band together for the good of all of us...where will Putin stop...I am thinking he will not stop until all of Europe is his and that is truly frightening. Alaska better watch out too:( :( I did like your pretty yellow daffodil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only read what is online, and there are so many conflicting stories, I don't know what to believe. TV news and their feeds I don't watch. I do know that generous donations are going to be a welcome gift to those in need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also grieve for Ukraine. But there's so little we can do. Meantime I'm jealous about your early PNW spring. Maybe I'll start dreaming about your Skagit valley tulips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't watch TV but I am well aware of the horrors of war. What I've found is that I have a great distrust in news. I used to think that I could choose the best source but not anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful daff. Two months away here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daffodils are beginning to fade. I started deadheading a few today that have given all their glory for the season. Maybe we will have some tulips, maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is so much devastation around the world now. We are witnessing what our parents and grandparents experienced with WW2 only now it’s in our faces every minute of the day. No more waiting for news reels at the theatres any more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean totally. I try to stay away from the news because it fills me with despair, but I can’t. I feel like I can’t ignore their terror but must be witness to their tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw a CNN clip of a little boy, maybe about 5, walking with his backpack and crying. I am hoping that he wasn’t fleeing all on his own. It broke my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I try to watch as little news as possible but I don't want to be oblivious to what is happening. Really glad I didn't see that little dog. Pleased you are giving to UNICEF also. From what I have heard they are a good charity and at least we can do a little to help. Sending you a germ free hug.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I find it necessary to keep up with the news. We watch a limited amount of NBC TV news, and we have CBS radio on part of the day. These are sources I trust. I find it worrisome that so many people say they can't trust news sources. CBS, NBC, and ABC are journalist based, trusted sources. Tread carefully on cable news, or the Internet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear DJan, we've witnessed the news of so many wars in so many places since we've been born. We've seen refugees fleeing. (I think that those who try to flee the gangs and violence and murders of Central America are refugees also, to be gathered into the fold of Oneness.) Like you, I find myself unable to watch much news but I do follow the NYT's headlines and listen to the president speak and explain. Let us hope that we can begin to embrace peace.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am addicted to watching the news about the war, too. It is horrifying how cruel people can be.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm feeling the same way about the current situation. I like your idea about UNICEF and will check that out. Otherwise, I think all I can do is pray for an end to this war.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope the tulips brighten your spirit. Whenever we are in Costa Rica we don't watch any news. It is better for the soul. But at home we need to stay informed. But it is soul sucking.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is very sad. More awful is we are being shown graphics like this far too often and as a global nation we cannot seem to prevent slaughter of humans because of the darker side of some humans.
    I often think of you. And I have posted today because I felt drawn to blogger friends. I miss you.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.