Monday, October 11, 2021

Getting back to normal

Geriatric black eye

I asked SG to take a picture of me this morning, so I could compare the immediate aftermath of the injury with the look of it today, four days later. The bruising has continued to move downwards, and for now the only soreness that remains is in the eyebrow, which took a pretty big hit. I went in this morning and got my glasses readjusted, since I think much of the bruising was caused by the impact of my glasses with the ground, as well as being pushed into my face. But they also are responsible for keeping my actual eye from being hurt, since there is a serious scratch across the left lens. Thank you, dear glasses!

When I walked to and from the bus this morning, getting close to three miles of walking total, I realized that I am feeling a little trepidation about possibly falling again and hurting myself. It's beginning to make sense to me that as we get older, we are less likely to engage in risky behavior. Although I really like to hike and take brisk walks, it's not without a renewed sense of caution. "Be careful" is becoming like a new mantra that makes me want to avoid getting hurt again. 

Of course, I will always take the occasional pratfall, how can I not? It's not worth it for me to stop doing all the activities that give me so much pleasure. But there is truly a difference in the way we move through the world as we age and naturally become less robust. 

Today's Cornwall rose

Walking through the Rose Garden this morning gave me plenty to feel grateful for, and I am truly enjoying the cool weather and current lack of rain. It is supposed to start raining sometime soon and continue for several days. I'll be out there, maybe not stopping to take as many pictures, but it makes my day so much more pleasant when I can be outdoors for at least part of it. There are many reasons why fall is my favorite season, not the least of which is that the weather is not just one way or the other, but fluctuates between rain, clouds, and sunshine. 

:-)

22 comments:

  1. Your injury still looks nasty!! Yes, more caution when hiking...a definite must. But don't stop with what pleases you. Beautiful Rose D J!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your vision is okay. Yep, gravity loves to make bruises even more beautiful. Just be careful with those walking canes. Please stop a moment if you adjust them, then continue walking. Heck, I can't even drink anything and still walk at the same time, or I end up choking a bit. So, I stop, take my sip, then keep walking. Or, you could go for another skydiving jump! We always used to say skydiving was safer than snow skiing because there was nothing to hit in the air compared to trees on the ground. Linda in flat Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad your eye is ok. I think a lot about the balance between risk and being active. My wife worries a lot more than I do, but I am not going to retreat into staying home just because I could have problems while riding around town!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi DJan, Nice to see you smiling even with a black eye. The glasses took the big scratch ... that's a good thing. Caution is the new mantra for seniors. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, do be careful no matter where you are and no matter what you are doing at the moment. David tends to fall, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch! That eye still looks painful. Do continue to be careful... but these things seem to happen so fast sometimes that they're almost unavoidable. Still it's good to be cautious... and to smile through it all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find that after a fall it takes a while to get my confidence back again. I think I'm learning to be much more careful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Of course, I will always take the occasional pratfall" What?? DJan, you caught me off guard there! Well, I do admire your plucky spirit and to be honest, that looks a bit worse than what I first thought. I very much hope it's not hurting too much and you have a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes you have a shiner for sure! I think many older adults are more careful after a fall. I know I am more careful walking in the ice and snow and I wear those ice grippers on my boots!
    As long as you didn't break a hip or leg your recovery will be uneventful...I hope!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It still looks nasty - but I am very glad that your glasses protected your eyes. And equally glad that you will still be out and about - albeit carefully.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is quite the shiner although that may not be the right way to describe that wound.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My sister now 71, believes in walking poles. She's not fallen but is being proactive. She also says she can walk and hike further because of them!]

    Nice shiner ;-) Thank goodness it's your only injury.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The swelling has come down but that is still a hefty shiner. I feel badly for SG. When you two walk together, you know people are whispering, "Did you see what that guy did to her?" You need a tee shirt for those occasions that says, "Honest, I fell."

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looking goo, like a shiner should. You might develop some green shades soon.
    As I told you earlier I have quite a reflex reaction to surfaces that appear slippery now. Your brain remembers the trauma.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG! I'm glad it was not worse. I bet treking poles have saved you before they tried to kill you. I know you will perservere in your hiking. I can't see as well as I used to and know I will have to be more careful in the future to. In low lighting mainly.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Knock on wood but I fell only once while trying to "run" while walking our dog and kicked a pile of construction debris and went flying, landing on my left arm and side. I broke bones and had to wear a pink plastic cast. Ever since then, I tread more carefully, just in case.

    It is good that you intend to keep on trekking because that is part of who you are - one in tune with nature.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Still an ouch. Good that you're on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ouch! Glad it's getting better and that you're not letting it hold you back. It's always better to be cautious, especially due to our fragile older bodies.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy to know you are on the mend Djan you've had a heck of a bump there. Sending healing wishes your way.
    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear DJan, so glad that healing is taking place and that you were wearing glasses that protected your eyes--even though they may also have caused the bruising. This aging business is a never ending adventure into realization that the body needs cherishing. With both Meniere's and vision concerns, I struggle with balance much of the time. It's why I seldom walk outside anymore. (I walk in my two-car garage, which no longer has a car in it, or mimic my yoga DVD teacher!) So do be aware of balance, but also keep that wonderful attitude of yours that has you adjusting and also adding something that can be done instead of whatever made up the past. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ouuuch! I’m glad you’re healing. That’s a relief! I have taken quite a number of falls and I nearly had a bad one today while walking because I was checking something on my cellphone. Bad, bad thing to do. But sigh… yes… we do have to be more careful now.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.