Thursday, October 7, 2021

Best laid plans

Neighborhood flowers for sale

A beautiful mostly sunny day, and on a Thursday to boot! I was so looking forward to a nice short-ish hike with my friend Melanie, who is still nursing a sore heel and didn't want to go any more than five or (possibly) six miles, so we didn't join the main group again, who are, I'll bet, right now on Cougar Divide in the mountains.

We decided to hike one of our favorites, good old Fragrance Lake. We started out, enjoying the cool temperatures, Mel wishing she'd brought warmer gloves, and I was fiddling with my trekking poles, trying to get them set the way I like them. And then, just like that, I was on the ground, having tripped over my own poles, like the klutz I am. I hit my head hard enough to knock off my glasses and experienced a searing pain right above my left eye. It hurt bad enough I didn't even try to get up, just laid there crying and holding my face. Poor Mel! She picked up my glasses and told me they are scratched but still in one piece, and once the shock had lessened, I sat up and tried to open my left eye. Liquid was streaming from it, I didn't know whether it was tears or blood, or both. (It turned out to be both.)

Mel informed me that it was bruising already, and that it looked pretty bad. Once I got up and realized that my eyesight is normal, and that I wasn't hurt too badly, she said we should get me in to see a doctor right away, to make sure there is no internal bleeding. I agreed, and we decided to drive to a walk-in clinic for "minor injuries." By the time we got back to the car, although I was still feeling some pain, most of the trauma had settled down. I put my scratched glasses back on and could see normally.

A shiner already

At the clinic, I learned than anybody over the age of 65 who has a head injury is required to go to the Emergency Room and get a CT scan. I called SG and got his advice; he was willing to take care of me if I decided just to come home and wait to see if it gets any worse. I didn't want to go through all the wait and expense of a CT scan, when I could tell that I was going to be okay. No headache, no vision difficulties, just a bruised eye socket and pretty good-sized lump at eyebrow level. Believe me, if I had any worries about internal bleeding because of symptoms, I would have gone to the ER.

But, as I've said before, this is not my first rodeo. I've been hurt a lot worse and have survived just fine. Mel took me to my car at her place and fed me a healing muffin, and then I drove home and am now sitting here writing my post. If I couldn't see it, I wouldn't even know how badly my eye socket is discolored. Yes, I know there are some of you out there who think I should definitely have it looked at, but to spend hours in the ER, with Covid patients everywhere, I just couldn't do it.

Once I got home, SG helped me clean off the blood (you can see a spot on my scarf) and got some pictures for posterity. It's not nothin, but it's also not life-threatening. I've had a couple concussions over the years and know what that feels like. And I also know what it would mean if I developed a headache or vision changes. But so far, so good.
Of course fear does not automatically lead to courage. Injury does not necessarily lead to insight. Hardship will not automatically make us better. Pain can break us or make us wiser. Suffering can destroy us or make us stronger. Fear can cripple us, or it can make us more courageous. It is resilience that makes the difference. —Eric Greitens
I like to think that I am resilient and can learn from my mistakes. But I notice that I have taken enough falls, great and small, that I should probably keep a logbook so I don't forget them. Would that make me more resilient, I wonder?

Now that enough time has passed since the injury, I think I'll take a short walk around my neighborhood. I do need to get my steps in, after all. I'm actually feeling pretty good, all things considered. I hope my friends are having a good time in the wilderness.

:-)

22 comments:

  1. Oh sweetheart. I am so sorry that you fell. Again. Face plants are a very real fear of mine.
    And love, love, love that you are already ready to walk again.
    Gentle cyber hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess you know best!! ( Altho this injury looks painful ...you're your own healer!!)

    Take it easy & have no more trauma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry! But yes, I agree with your decision not to go to the ER.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! It looks terrible but hopefully just external.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes, that is one nasty shiner. I am glad you have SG to keep an "eye" on you. That you are all ready out walking is a good sign. Do take care dear friend and heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about your fall. I've tripped over my trekking poles before. Probably more common than we realize. Glad you are doing well. I don't think I would have gone to the ER either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really did yourseluf in! But to be honest, I agree with you, it's probably not too serious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, you probably remember when I slipped on mud and ended up with a bloody lump in the middle of my forehead and two black eyes. The colors lasted and morphed for a long time, and so did the lump. Everyone told me to go to the doctor, but I just called in and we all agreed that I was OK.
    I'm glad you are OK too. I do have a lingering fear now of slipping and anytime I am on a surface that even looks slippery my mind thinks I am slipping. My brain remembers the trauma. It can be a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Falls are a problem for the elderly. I've had three falls this year. In two of them I did a face plant. Fortunately one was on carpet and the other on grass. However, it has given me reason to be much more careful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh dear friend, you took a "lump", but so very thankful you were able to get back on your feet and return home. Please take good care of yourself, and if there is any sign of dizziness seek professional attention.
    Sending healing wishes your way.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Same here. Sending healing thoughts your way. I probably wouldn't have gone to the ER either... not sure that is wise, but I do understand. Do take care!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Jan. I hope all is well today. I wonder if it’s sore. You were fortunate the injury wasn’t worse. I know you’ll be walking the trails with Mel before long.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well that was scary... tell Smart Guy to monitor the size of your pupils and if you get real sleepy go to the ER right away. You will have a real colorful eye.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks awful! I know you and SmartGuy will watch you closely, but not good to have fallen again. :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my! I am so sorry to read about your fall and injury. What you said about not wanting to spend hours in the ER with Covid patients rang a bell. I agree with you on that. Absolutely. I am glad that SG is there to help you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You probably made the right decision. You cold tell if something was truly amiss. It was a stumble fall and not the passing out kind. And the fact that you subsequently went for a walk is revealing. Let us hope that we're both right about this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm just glad you're okay. Be careful out there in the wild west!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope you will see a doctor if there isn't an improvement in a day or so.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I sure am sorry for your fall DJan, that looks like a pretty rough tumble. Now that it's been a couple days, I hope you're on the mend and more your old self. PS. Glad to read your glasses remained intact--this is a good reminder we should all have a spare pair.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like you took quite a fall. Glad Smart Guy is watching out for you. I'm thinking often these days about how "Life is what happens when you're making other plans."

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gosh... DJan. It's amazing that even with your face banged up and going through that trauma, you still look beautiful. However... you know... I wish you'd gotten that scan. When I fell forehead first on the pavement many years ago I refused to go to the hospital too. I wonder now if that's how I lost my sense of smell and taste. Hmmm... Nah... probably not. Please take good care of yourself. I'm glad you've got SG taking good care of you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So relieved that this fall wasn't worse. And yes, I would say from reading ten years of your posts that residence is part of your DNA. Peace.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.