Thursday, July 15, 2021

Still injured, but better

Hertz trail today

Today Melanie and I went on our own walk, since I am still on the injured list. Although my ankle is much better than it was after I sprained it two weeks ago, it's still not good enough for much downhill activity. She and I went to the Hertz trail on the north shore of Lake Whatcom. She was hoping I might be well enough to do the Chanterelle trail, in the same neighborhood, but I knew that the downhill part would be challenging for my ankle, so instead we went on this lovely trail that extends for three miles from the parking lot.

Lake Whatcom and an old fallen cedar tree

It was cool and breezy as we made our way almost to the end of the trail. I was a little anxious about overdoing it, but the gentle trail and good conversation made it a pretty perfect walk for my condition. The rest of the Senior Trailblazers headed to Sauk Mountain, one of my favorites because of the incredible wildflowers. But I also knew it would not be a good idea for me to attempt it today, with plenty of elevation gain. I hope they had a good time and that everybody returns safe and sound.

Covered bridge on the Hertz trail

Along our walk today, we crossed two small covered bridges, with their streams just about dry at this time of the year, but it was lovely nevertheless. I noticed lots of yellow leaves on the trail, probably because of the dryness.

Dappled sunlight on the trail

Although it was overcast and breezy at the beginning of our day, the sun came out more and more as we walked. I think this serene picture will give you some idea of how delightfully calm and restorative it was. We did turn around a bit before the end of the trail, since I was a little anxious that I would need to cover the distance back and hopefully not re-injure the ankle. It feels pretty good now, as I sit here at home writing this post. And maybe by next week, I'll be able to join the Trailblazers once again!

:-)

17 comments:

  1. Looks to me to be a perfect area. No tension added to your injury...that's wise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a beautiful trail, and flat enough to be just right for you for now. Don't push the high elevation trails. Listen to your inner warnings. If you are worried about it, do something else, like you did today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is beautiful. The dryness worries me though - and I am thrilled that a) your ankle is healing and b) that you are being cautious. I hope you can join the blazers of trails again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is good to take it easy now, and once you are 100%, watch out mountain trails!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Err on the side of caution with injuries. You will have many more good walks if you are cautious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Smart to be cautious, DJan... and still a lovely area to hike.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gosh! You’re walking with an ankle still healing. Please be careful. I’m glad you were trying to be careful though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Be extra careful about overdoing it. Sounds like you made good decisions. Beautiful walk! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess that worked out well. I hope the foot keeps improving.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope your ankle is still on the mend. Only sprains and rain can slow you down! I think I sprained my big toe in Savannah and could barely walk for a few days. Frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely walk and glad you have such a considerate friend to go with you. Please make sure you are healed before you tackle the grades. You don't want a set back after getting this far.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How nice of Melanie to spend time with you. It looks like a very good walk.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a beautiful area, with the covered bridges. Glad your ankle was okay. Mine isn’t totally recovered yet either. No biking for me this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a nice gentle walk, and sounds like you're recovering too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh a covered bridge! I really like them! Glad you took it easy one more week:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad things are proceeding well. I agree, downhill is always the worst on your ankle. Maybe you should move to Florida where the steepest hill is about 2 1/2 feet high.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.