Monday, July 12, 2021

Garden party

Some of the garden party-ers

Yesterday, Sunday, about a dozen of us gardeners gathered in our garden to share food and drink with one another, to celebrate our wonderful community area. We had quite a bit of shade, thanks to Carter who pulled out a nice canopy to keep us from being in the direct sun. A barbeque and food tables were set up outside the gate, since you are looking at pretty much the entire area we had to gather in. I didn't think to get any pictures of the food (sorry!), but we did have quite a nice time. And we all got to meet the newest member of our apartment complex.

Annabelle (with mom Naomi)

Annabelle is almost four months old, and she is quite the delight to all the mothers and grandmothers (especially me). She is wearing mitts to keep her from scratching her face. I never heard of these before, but they work very well. She's got a few scratches that are recovering from earlier bouts with those baby fingernails. 

Apartments behind the garden enclosure

You can see how close the community garden is to our apartments. We spent a short amount of time talking about the garden and our vegetable adventures, and much more time finding out who we all are, and where we come from. I learned that one gardener is going off to Alaska in a few short weeks on a scholarship to finish her dissertation (I think that's what it's all about anyway). I also met a few people I had seen in the garden but never had a chance to chat with. We are now much better acquainted.

Since I'm not much of a cook, I brought beer and sodas for us to enjoy, and I do think it was better received than anything I might have attempted to prepare. I loved the tray of cheeses, olives, and other tidbits to whet my appetite that Lynn brought. There was salad, hot dogs, homemade cookies, and lots more, but I got quite full before I even sampled everything. I skipped the hot dogs, since I don't eat red meat, but otherwise enjoyed everything else.

Carter says we'll have to repeat this at least once more this season, and I'm all for it! It was a resounding success, and the weather could not have been more perfect. Life is good and we are grateful for our wonderful bounty, in food and friendship.

:-)

17 comments:

  1. A perfect gathering!!! Sweet Annabelle. And meeting new acquaintances made it all the more fun. Icy beer sounds good 'bout now...95° without heat index factored in, here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea and well organised by the sounds of it. What a delightful community to be part of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such a great social life between the coffee shop, hiking groups, and your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea and it seems a very welcome one by all. Think Carter is right, you all should do more of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice day and great meeting up with neighbors! It almost makes me want to organize a block party for our street - but then I am too lazy and laid back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing like a group participating in the same activity. You not only get to know people but support one another.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful. Kindred souls are definitely a bounty - and a generous one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seems like a delightful cross section.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh that baby is so cute! What a nice gathering!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea! Gardening is a great way to bring people together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree, great idea! Looks fun & yes yall should try to do this again before fall, maybe share some of the harvest. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful idea! I hope they keep it up. Would be nice to at least have a spring or beginning summer and then a fall gathering. Give your garden community a way to connect--yes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. How wonderful to have all of those beautiful young people to garden with and share your harvest as well as life stories.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, now this is what life is all about, DJan. Food, fun and friends!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear DJan, just reading your posting in which your enthusiasm shone through made me happy! For you and for all those gathered there who got to meet you and know one another. For me, it's such an example of Oneness. Peace and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are really lucky to have the garden so close to your apartments. That is truly ideal. Your garden party sounds like a fun get together and I can see why your beverages would be a big hit. I imagine it's just really extra fun for people to be able to socialize at this time.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.