Thursday, July 1, 2021

Goose Rock hike and more

Today's hikers

Just to show you can never tell what a day will bring, today we gathered at the Senior Center, 14 of us, for a hike in the Deception Pass area. The plan was to hike up to Goose Rock from West Beacvh, a favorite hike of ours over the years. We had three newbies, Patrick, Mark, and Jeannie. We decided to add the short (around a mile round trip) Interpretive Loop to make it a little longer. Within a few short steps, I took quite a spill, twisting my ankle and writhing on the ground for a few minutes, trying to decide how badly I was hurt.

Me, up on my feet again

Melanie took this picture of me right after I got up, and I thought I might be able to go on the hike after all. But no, every time I tried to put weight on my right ankle, it complained. I got them all to go ahead and hike up Goose Rock, while I would stay behind and spend my day on the beach.

West Beach

With the help of my trekking poles and being careful, I could walk around without too much pain. But I have to admit I am injured, and I won't be pushing things too much until it gets better. But, as I've said before, it's not my first rodeo. It WILL get better.

Deception Pass bridge

As you can see, it was cloudy and cool as I walked down to the beach to get a shot of the bridge, which is still being worked on, as you can see here. The bridge is wearing a coat of sorts. I think the last time I was here, more than a year ago, they had begun the work, and it's still going on.

View from Goose Rock

Melanie sent me this picture taken from the top of Goose Rock, where they had lunch. I spent my time carefully walking along the beach and enjoying the views. The skies had begun to clear a little by midday.

Could I make it to the beach?

I wanted to get down to the water, so I could stick my feet in and hopefully treat the ankle to some cold water, but in order to do that, I had to climb over those logs, no matter where I looked. I spent a good deal of time trying to find the best way to get there, and finally I did.

Down by the water

Yes, it was lovely to feel the cold water coming in on my feet. I had removed my boots and rolled up my pants legs so I could just stand in the surf and let it flow over me. The tide was on the way in, I noticed.

Sandy toes and a swollen right ankle

It felt so good to spend quite a bit of time out there as I watched the tide come in and enjoyed the heightened sense of time I had to spend doing absolutely nothing. Finally I had to make my way back to the parking lot and clean off my feet before putting the boots back on. It was painful only now and then, but now that I'm home, I've got the old RICE setup: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. How long before I'll be able to walk normally again? I'm hoping not too long if I follow the rules.

In any event, we had a good day today, and the gang returned rather early in the afternoon. By that time the skies were almost completely clear. But still, it was cool enough to enjoy the amazing beach and climb to Goose Rock (for them, that is). Next time I'll be joining them!

:-)

19 comments:

  1. Hope you are hopping around and hiking again soon! Glad the cooler weather has returned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a trooper! You've had some owies before but always keep coming back. I hope you recover rapidly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your determination - and hope that your ankle heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Other than the "hurt"...I'd much rather have the beach & surf on my toes than an uphill hike!! LOVE the view of the bridge.
    You take care now, y'hear?!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. of course that was disappointing but you made the best of it. Heal up and get those heels back out there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really did make lemonade out of that unfortunate lemon. Not a bad way to spend a day and sooo happy that your area has cooled back down. Hope you are sound and ready to go soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bad luck to have injured yourself but great you could relax and enjoy that beautiful setting. I hope you heal quickly, Jan.

    I am so glad the heat has passed through your area.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you were able to make the best of it, despite the injury. Hope that ankle heals up fast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your feet and ankles are so thin that I cannot see any swelling. Hopefully you will be able to get back on your feet soon. I am still hobbling from my fall 6 weeks ago. Had to see an orthopedist and found that I had pulled a bone lose when I went down.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Djan, hope your ankle is healing well. I think your time on the beach was a day well spent. It looks so inviting...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you were able to enjoy your time after they left you. Hope your ankle's better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry to hear about your ankle. You will treat it well and be back out there in no time, knowing you. :) :) Your time at the beach sounds cooling.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope your ankle is feeling better! Maybe you just needed to be at the beach:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yikes! Please be careful, DJan. I'm glad you know the protocol for repairing your ankle. I have very weak ankles and know how painful it can be.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I guess you can be grateful for the best possible outcome. You were not way out on the trail when you were injured. And time to while away on a beach isn't so bad. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sorry to hear about your ankle. Rest up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh, so sorry to read of your injury DJan, I'm almost an expert when it comes to ankle injuries, you are not far behind ! Speedy recovery, and a Happy July 4th to you and yours.
    Jo

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.