Thursday, July 8, 2021

Our community garden

Taken from my apartment's back stairs

 Since I am still not quite ready to take on a day-long hike on my injured ankle (I have been able to walk for almost 10,000 steps), the rest of the Senior Trailblazers headed up the Mt. Baker Highway to take on Heliotrope Ridge. That link takes you to my pictures from 2018. I did go for a short walk with Joy (who is also injured) at Lake Padden, but for today's subject, you get to see our apartment complex's community garden. You can see how parched it's getting around here, with the dry grass surrounding our gated garden.

Gate bringing us into the garden

Come on in! Our deer fence works because of a thin wire at the top of those posts, which keeps deer from trying to jump it. I have been surprised to see how well it works; once I was picking raspberries and heard the breath of a deer on the other side of the fence chomping down berries from his side of the fence. The ice chest outside is for people to put in or take out veggies to share.

Two garden plots with a walkway in between

As you can see here, we have plenty of vegetables and flowers. The plot to the right of the lettuce is not assigned right now, but it was full of strawberries from the previous tenant, and we all enjoyed feasting on them. They're gone for the season.

Three plots growing well

Those are Carter's garlic plants looking great on the left, flowers in the middle (not sure who planted them, but they are enjoyed by everybody), and happy tomato plants in the next plot. Because of last week's very hot weather, the tomatoes are going crazy, but nobody's unhappy about it.

Front side of my plot

Next comes my unruly potato plants in front, with red potatoes galore. Carter helped me harvest a few and cover the rest up from the rays of the sun. I think I'll have way more potatoes than I'm going to know what to do with. Many will be shared with my co-gardeners.

Nasturtiums, zucchini plants, and even some beets

At the other end of my plot, you can see how overgrown it has become, with everything sprouting at once. Carter showed me how to tell male and female blossoms apart on the zucchini, and we helped pollinate to encourage more robust zucchini plants.

Happy snail

While picking raspberries, I saw this snail who had made it up higher than my head, to a nice shady spot to beat the heat.  I wonder how long he's been there. If you go back to the first picture, you can see that we have a shady arbor on the southeast corner, with grapes beginning to appear, along with lots of raspberries and marionberries. Some that were exposed directly to the sun were burnt, but many spots were protected.

Shady respite from summer's heat

This is my favorite spot in the entire garden, not least because I can sit in a shady lawn chair and pick raspberries and pop them into my mouth. They are still getting ripe, but Carter picked enough to make several quarts of jam. Wouldn't you like to have some? I myself might actually have already reached saturation with raspberries.

We are going to have a garden party here next Sunday, and we'll share, bring stuff from both the store (cold beer and sodas), ribs and burgers, and delights from the garden to celebrate our wonderful community garden. 

:-)

16 comments:

  1. Despite the dryness the garden is doing well.

    We're getting much needed rain here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deer can clear the lower fence with ease, and I have been them do it. It is quite remarkable. Interesting that that one wire keeps them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm amazed at how much you have in your garden. New potatoes are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saturated with raspberries? Wash your mouth out. I cannot imagine reaching that point.
    I am sorry that your ankle isn't up to a long hike but very grateful to see the wonders of the community garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love community gardens. Thanks for sharing yours with us. We have several around here... but I think they are all connected to churches. Enjoy your garden party next Sunday. It reminds me of a co-op we had several years ago. We would take turns shopping at the Farmer's Market downtown and then share what we bought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love raspberries and the wild ones are just beginning to ripen. Our own raspberry patch is getting a few berries...I should weed and water and fert that patch:) WEll 10,000 steps is no small feat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I’m so impressed. How wonderful that the garden is so close by. You have your own organic growing supermarket right out your door. You are so lucky! Yes, it’s true. I’m envious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We here are getting your share (and ours) of rain! Too much of a good thing. The garden is truly a feat of know-how & hard work!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking good in spite of no rain and like how you all share the excess. That Carter is a real keeper.
    Congrats on the ten thousand steps. You will be back on the hills in no time but glad there is another walking wounded to help you rehab.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a treasure that garden is. Such a wonderful idea in every way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It all looks so wonderful! You are very lucky. Looking forward to seeing photos of your garden party.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 10,000 steps on a bad ankle is nothing to sneeze at!
    The garden looks good considering how dry it has been.
    The cooler is a great idea for sharing.
    Have a good weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our raspberry patch got a bit cooked, but the next to ripen are looking OK. I have been having them on my cereal for breakfast and on my yogurt for lunch. I don't know if we'll have enough for the freezer this year of not.
    I'm glad you are your neighbors are enjoying your garden and celebrating it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How can you ever reach saturation with raspberries! I enjoy the photos of your community garden, show us more. If I could I'd send you some of our excessive rain.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our vegetable garden isn't doing well. I think I need lessons for the sake of those poor plants.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.