Saturday, January 19, 2019

Idyllic Florida with family

Icarus and Charley
My sister loves dogs. When I was here last year, their dog Zen was hanging on, even after he was expected to go a year or so earlier. He finally died at 17, with the final trip to the vet once he stopped eating and was having trouble walking. Icarus was so lonely after he was gone that Norma Jean got another rescue dog, this one a Papillon mix (Charley). He's an adorable dog and was owned by a woman who had moved and found that she couldn't have a fence for him to run, and she, unable to even take him for walks, put an ad on Craigslist to find the right place for him. It turned out to be at home with my sister, her son Peter, and Icarus.
Buried in furry love
Charley was originally named Harley, which nobody really cared for, so they changed it to Charley; he doesn't seem to notice the difference. He's 3 to Icarus' 8 years, so he has plenty of energy and took to me right away. In fact, I had to ask Norma Jean to call him to her so I could write on my laptop. He sleeps with me and we think I might remind him of his previous owner, whose white hair is similar to mine. I'm happy to accommodate this adorable bundle of love.
Deedee, who lives a couple of doors away
Every morning when we walk, Norma Jean takes Deedee with us. She's only a year old and needs the exercise and training. When we come to get her, two homes away, she's waiting impatiently for her. We walk between three and five miles with her. Norma Jean gives her a treat before and after, and in the three months they've been doing this, Norma Jean has only missed one day.

Of course, she also has me along with her, so the three of us enjoy the idyllic Florida weather. You might notice Norma Jean is dressed warmly, because the first two days I was here it was downright cold in the morning. I didn't really mind, except we missed our swim. We went yesterday, though, and I am now happy to say the weather is warm and really delightful.
:-)

18 comments:

  1. That pic says it all... "please put that away and pay attention to me".... I get this all the time with my cats. They even try to knock the iPhone out of my hand. Icky and Charlie are precious. Do they walk with you'all? Enjoy the warm weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful way to spend your days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds delightful, furry friends and all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for family time. Regardless of the number of legs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are very cute dogs. I guess you are OK with sharing your bed with one?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a bummer when you go to Florida for warm weather and you don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dogs are the best friends! Looks like they love you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute dogs. My daughter recently adopted a mutt and named him Sebastian.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you visit has gone to the dogs--ROFL!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you made it to Florida! Now it's about to turn cold again...

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you got such cute dogs to adore you. Charlie is obviously impressed the way he is looking at you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear DJan, how wonderful that you are in Florida with your beloved sister and that Charley is claiming you as his while you are there. Also wonderful is that you can keep up your exercise regime. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Still ... you might be in the warmest place in the country.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sweet story of all the fur babies! And, I love your cuddle laptop time together.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm much farther south than you right now and mornings are downright balmy near the equator. Such a sweet story today with a happy ending for everyone. Even the neighbor dog. Soon, I'll be back fighting off cats while I try to work on the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Papillons are beautiful dogs. We had a friend who had several of them. You and Norma Jean are so amazing. I’m in awe of your exercise regimen.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.