Saturday, September 8, 2018

A change in the weather

Interurban trail and walkers
Last night, I woke to the sound of rain gently falling outside my window. It's been a long, long time since we've had any, and although you know I'll be complaining about it before the winter is over, for now it was more than welcome. I was even willing to walk in the rain with the ladies, if that was to be.

But no, the rain stopped early and is expected to start up again in the afternoon, but right now it's just overcast and very enjoyable, perfect for our hard walk up Taylor Street and down the stairs. We then walked on some new (to me) trails south of our usual return trip, with our leader Cindy trying to find some new places for us to enjoy. By the time I took the above picture, we were back in our normal walking areas.
Canadian house's new home
Cindy pointed out to us this rather unremarkable house, but it has a good backstory. It was relocated here in Bellingham after having been uprooted from its previous home in Vancouver, BC, in order to keep it from being destroyed in its old neighborhood. It was shipped by barge and painstakingly transferred here by Nickel Bros. Company. After everything is hooked up and made ready for occupancy, it cannot be a cheap alternative, but rather than having to tear down a home and then build anew, you too can have a recycled home.
:-)

17 comments:

  1. That's a lot of effort to save a house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was young it was not uncommon to see people move houses to different cities. Of course it is likely the homes were built much sturdier back then! After my grandmother died someone bought her house and had it moved to a different state. I have to admit it is not something you see much these days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can remember following houses up the highway. As Bonnie says, it is rare now. I suspect price has a lot to do with it.
    Hooray for rain, and walks in new (to you) areas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The house immigrated. I hop it had all of its proper documentation. :-)
    We didn't get much rain, but it's a start, and the cooler temps are nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The trail picture looks beautiful and peaceful.
    In our town houses are being raised. I guess when the ocean floods us (permanently) we can move the houses to the mainland.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite a journey for a house. Not frequently done I bet.

    Love that path through the green in the first photo, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Things feel better when it cools down. We are in for a cold week. Yes , cold.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope the rain helps with the fires. That is quite a feat to move a house:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, don't see houses moved that often these days. Seems nice to be a home that is that loved. :)

    Enjoy your fall weather.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Moving homes use to be more common though I never heard of one being moved by barge. That is one heck of a recycle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read about the move in the paper. We live up the coast from Vancouver in Powell River. Lots of things pass by on barges since it is about the only way you can transport large items along the coast. I just discovered your blog through the Furry Gnome. We have a part-time home in Bellingham so I'm enjoying your posts about a place we visit frequently. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is awesome about the house moving!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The new owners of my mother's house trucked it to the north shore and donated it to a family there. Then they built a new house where my mother's house had been.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear DJan, thank you for explaining the convent of a "recycled home." We have become such a throw-away society, that I feel myself buoyed by this posting of yours. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We're redoing our kitchen, and are sending the old cabinets and some of our appliances (they only want them if they're less than ten years old) to Habitat. Recycling is good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is so remarkable about the recycled home. It must have been so expensive to do this. How amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.