Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Gardening news

Lily in the garden on Mother's Day
The afternoon of Sunday, Mother's Day, finally gave us a respite from the constant rain, but it didn't last long. Rob gave all of us mothers a lovely carnation and some champagne. We were sitting out in the garden enjoying the company and the warm rays of the sun. Behind Lily, in Lynn's new spot, you can see three raised beds, which are her Mother's Day present from her son Soren. Yesterday it rained all day long.
Plastic bottles to protect the zucchini from slugs
I planted four zucchini plants, and the slugs had been feasting on them so much that one died, and the others were on their way to the same death. Nate, Rob's son, showed me how to cut plastic bottles in half and place them over the plants in order to keep them from getting chewed down to nothing by the slugs. At some point I'll take the bottles off, but first I want to see if there's anything else I might do to protect my tender plants. I might be forced to use Sluggo, which is ostensibly "natural" and kills the slugs. So far, our beer cups are filled with drowned slugs, and even so there seems to be no shortage of them.

We have some nice weather coming up this week and next, so I'll be out there seeing how our garden grows. I'll keep you posted as spring and summer proceed to, hopefully, some actual veggies!
:-)

17 comments:

  1. What lovely Mother's Day planters, Lily is a lucky lady.
    Slugs are notorious in England where it is quite damp, my dad used to put salt around everything :)
    I bet the slugs are happy in their beer demise .....lol
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gardening with flowers and champagne! Sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those planters - and agree with Rian. Flowers and bubbles? Bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't like slugs, but do like zucchini.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A nice day after much rain is appreciated...especially by gardeners. Slugs drive gardeners crazy. I hope you get rid of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another couple of weeks and we can plant things here! It's going to actually be HOT tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know just what you mean about those slugs. Arrrghhh... They make me crazy! What a wonderful son she has. I wish mine were not half way around the world... well... maybe he's not quite that far, but almost.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Champagne in the garden - how wonderful!
    Your beer is attracting all the slugs in the neighborhood. It's time for a moat of Sluggo around the whole garden plot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Coffee grounds are great slug deterents. They stick to the slugs which they don't like. I sprinkle them around the base of the plants. It works here, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Slug yuk. I remember many years ago we were camping on the Olympic Peninsula and was amazed at the size of some of the plants and animals compared to our teeny weeny Minnesota ones. That included not recognizing geraniums and yes even some voracious giant slugs...:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lynn is lucky to have such beautiful raised beds! How sweet of Rob to treat all the ladies. I know nothing about slugs as we don't have them over here. Rabbits are another story--LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Champagne gardening?? What a fun way to get your hands dirty. I have never had slugs in my garden and don't want any but I will remember the cut off bottles. Good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those raised beds are awesome! Before long you will have veggies! Darn slugs anyway at least the ones in the beer die happy:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Slugs are a pain in the neck. It is raining hard outside as I write this, so I know the slugs will have devoured half my plants by morning. Champagne! Now that is my kind of gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We always get slugs visiting our garden too. I'll have to try your plastic bottle method.

    ReplyDelete
  16. All I can say is that slugs are nasty! Looking and destructive. Hope this works for you.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.