Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Abundant bleeding hearts

Dicentra formosa (Pacific bleeding heart)
One thing I love about hiking around the Pacific Northwest is the abundance of lush greenery, but also the incredible number of wildflowers I've seen. This pretty thing is called a Pacific bleeding heart, and I've seen it in several different colors, from pale pink to deep reddish purple. They are related to Lamprocapnos spectabilis, another popular plant called "bleeding heart", which was formerly placed in the same genus, according to Wikipedia.
Darker bleeding hearts
In another few weeks, we'll be able to start hiking in the High Country, and all the flowers that have already bloomed down at sea level will be available for us to enjoy once again, at altitude. I never tire of the beauty that surrounds me in this part of the world. Every year they come up again, I don't think it's just simply for my enjoyment, but you never know. Maybe...
:-)

13 comments:

  1. They are gorgeous. And of course they bloom for your pleasure - how can you doubt it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bleeding hearts are beautiful! Just for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love bleeding hearts. They grew in my grandmother's yard and always remind me of those days when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every plant in your territory always looks so lush to me. We loved our visits there...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those flowers remind me of bougainvillea. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful especially the darker colored ones! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. People who have never been in the high country don't really know what flowers are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these flowers! I see them on trails in the Columbia River Gorge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am always on the lookout for wild flowers. I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting that you have sea level blooming seasons that are repeated later in the mountains. Makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful!! One of my mother's favorite flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I've never seen purple bleeding hearts. We had white and red ones in Illinois, but they didn't grow all that well. I do have brown thumbs. These are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.