Saturday, July 16, 2016

What a difference from last year

Iceberg Lake, one year apart in July
Last year at this time, we were sweltering in much above normal temperatures with below normal precipitation. In fact, I found this article stating that last July was the hottest on record for Seattle, which is a bit south of us. We tend to be a little cooler than Seattle, but last year it didn't matter: when we went on the Chain Lakes hike on July 2, we saw zero snow, but this year was a completely different story on July 14. It was just plain hot for the whole month of July.
Climate Prediction Center
See that little corner in the very northwest spot in the Lower 48 of the US? That's us this year. Frankly, I'll take our weather, even below normal, compared to what's coming for the rest of the country. Since they don't show Canada, I'm curious what that might look like, given that except for the coast of Alaska, the rest looks below normal, too. Strange weather!

I heard this morning from one of the ladies on the morning walk that another hiking group was scheduled to do the Chain Lakes loop today, but based on reports from the Forest Service that it is still dangerous because of deep snow, they canceled their trip. So I'm also doubly grateful that we all made it back safe and sound!
:-)

18 comments:

  1. Amazing hike photos and even more astounding changes in the weather...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weather extremes. Your photos for comparison prove the point! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Global weather weirding is lving up to its name. I too am glad you all made it home safely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am happy with this cooler summer too. It has been mild and not too rainy and partly sunny most days. Practically perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with you favouring the cooler weather. Eastern Canada doesn't usually disappoint that way and certainly not this year.

    Your group was brave and adventurous to complete that journey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been very hot and humid here in Hawaii due to the hurricane season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perhaps that's good news, that global warming is not boiling us up quite as fast as feared? But as for me, I'll take my snow in January, not July.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That really shows the extreme difference alright! You guys were lucky to make the hike with no major issues. We're hotter than normal here. Like you, I'd prefer it to be cooler than normal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. In Central New York we are definitely experiencing much warmer temperatures, along with near drought conditions. The corn in the farmer's field near us doesn't look to happy :-(

    ReplyDelete
  10. I see the mountain in the background is completely covered in snow. We need summers like this but with global warming it isn't going the happen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad we're not having another sizzling summer like last year. I'll take cool and rainy anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Last year's picture is prettier but I am glad for your sake that you're are a bit below normal. Heat is no fun. Be happy you are not in that red zone like the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. still amazed at that snow! and i don't like that huge red zone...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm still very thankful that you guys returned safe and sound too! You here too frequently about hiking trips, many places, that suddenly go horribly wrong. Glad yours wasn't one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a huge difference in climate. I'm glad you've got a little cooler weather because we are sweltering over here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. When I read about high temperatures it makes me wonder that can any other part of the world be hotter then our's??

    ReplyDelete
  17. When I read about high temperatures it makes me wonder that can any other part of the world be hotter then our's??

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.