Saturday, July 23, 2016

Joyful summertime

Lake Padden trail
We ladies spent another Saturday morning walking around Lake Padden, as our leader Cindy was still in absentia. She's back next week and we'll do something different, but we all know and love this 2.6-mile trail around the lake. We did it twice and then went off on our separate journeys. It was a little after 10:00am when we finished, and the path was beginning to have plenty of other walkers and runners, along with the occasional bike. A day to be outside, for sure.
Oak fern
On our Thursday hike, we passed through a really lovely section that was filled with ferns of every kind. I didn't get a picture of the deer fern, but I've rarely seem them looking so beautiful. Peggy told me they require lots of shade to do well, and this area was not only shaded but delightfully cool. This oak fern caught my eye; I don't see them often, either. I think it is magnificent.
Beautiful rose
And right outside the stairway up to my apartment is this rose bush, which is doing incredibly well this year, covered with fragrant blossoms. This was taken with my iPhone, another closeup that continues to surprise me with its detail.

Several areas nearby got rain yesterday, but we didn't. Or if we did, it wasn't much. I wouldn't mind a drenching rain about now, just before midsummer. The month of August is usually our driest period, and everything is already beginning to look a little parched. But I really have nothing to complain about, so instead I'll give thanks for the beauty around me.
:-)

18 comments:

  1. love the fern. don't get to see them here. we could use a good rain soak, too. very dry and very hot, but have been grateful it has held off as late as it has this year in texas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes, the beauty around us!
    We did get a drenching rain overnight Thursday into Friday, and a thunder storm to go with it. It has taken its time clearing off here on Friday and today, but promises to heat up again starting Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing that beauty. So much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous rose and fern image!! 'bout now, I'd give my two ovaries for some rainfall. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful photos. That trail sounds wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I echo your sentiment: that we really don't have much to complain about, so instead we should give thanks for the beauty around us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those shady areas are perfect on a hot and humid day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love ferns. But have never been able to grow them (or ivys) well indoors. I think my homes are too dry for them. The rose is gorgeous. I am surprised at the pictures I can get with my cell and haven't used my actual camera for such a long time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that looks like my kind of walk. That fern reminded me of the huge bed I had in Fla and miss today. Not enough shade on this property. Your cell does a wonderful job and beats lugging a camera everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely photos. We are being drenched by Tropical Storm Darby today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great photos! And it looks like the ideal spot to walk.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You had a great day with good company, beautiful weather and spectacular flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a beautiful rose! It rained here in Portland on Friday (what a surprise!) but today it's back to hot weather again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We could really enjoy a drenching rainfall here!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rain, it would be nice, but disastrous to crops at this time of the year. Really love the ferns. Wish we could grow them in our hot, dry valley.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is one beautiful rose. We are a little wet here we got another 2 1/2 inches of rain over the weekend. That is a lovely fern, yes they like cool roots:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What beautiful photos of nature at its best. Puts a smile on my face. Thanks for sharing! :) (and dry as a bone here, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That picture of Lake Padden trail is rather poetic :)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.