Saturday, July 9, 2016

Summer takes a holiday

The bridge over Whatcom Falls
It's been cool and rainy here for the past week, with temperatures barely making it to 70F (21C), and periods of rain are interspersed with a few sun breaks. When I first moved to the Pacific Northwest, I had never heard of the term "sun breaks," but now I know just what they are: a few rays of sun in an otherwise overcast day.

Now I don't mind this at all. A year ago were sweltering in abnormally hot temperatures, and this coming week our trip to the Mt. Baker wilderness and the Chain Lakes loop should be much more to my liking. I'm definitely not a hot weather aficionado, since it's much easier to add layers; there's only so much clothing you can remove, plus some of my extra bulk is unfortunately not available for removal in the short term.

My walk this morning with the ladies was perfect weather, once the rain stopped anyway. I should have known it would rain overnight, since I watered my garden thoroughly. After I finish this post I'm going out to weed. They should come right up, and that's so satisfying. It will also give me a chance to take some pictures and show off my garden in my next post. We have been eating like royalty out of the garden: royalty, that is, that enjoys kale in all its glory!
:-)

16 comments:

  1. Sun breaks! We had about 80 degrees today and high humidity, a warm day:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer left here too, Jan. We've had temperatures in the low teens but I'm glad not to have the heat and humidity too.

    My Russian kale is yielding a great deal too. We are really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was 70 here today and was too hot to work outside so I share your liking for cooler temps.

      Delete
  3. Looks like it will be spitting rain for a few days yet, with coolish temps. the forecast is full of "partly cloudy, mostly cloudy, sun breaks, chance of showers". But yes, better than burning up like last summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I have often whinged, I prefer the cooler weather too. Yay for home produce. Better than royalty eats often I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh cooler weather....with RAIN even...sounds like a piece of heaven on earth 'bout now!!
    Can't wait to see your garden. And yes, weeding will be easy with the damp earth helping you along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. DJan, last night I sat down and read over all your posts while I was away. I'm reminded again how many great trails you have to hike, and how much you get out there hiking them. Your garden looks great too. I'd love to have a local coffee shop nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like rainy cool days - we need a bit more rain here in CO. A huge wildfire is now burning near your old hometown of Boulder and people are being evacuated from Nederlands. Here in the mts, our days are pleasant - it rarely goes above the 70's, great for hiking. I envy you the garden produce. I'm buying as many fresh fruits and veggies locally grown as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad you enjoy that kind of weather, but I would find it depressing. I like clear blue skies and sunshine. But, what do you expect? I was born and raised in Hawaii. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll take your cool summer weather, and give you our 95 degree days :)
    Such a beautiful canopy on that trail, a pretty hike.
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are predicting 90 today in Fargo, it stormed during the night, and there's 80% humidity. Awk!! I'd love it in the 60s!! Enjoy your weeding and outings in the cooler weather. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been enjoying our cool rainy weather - so much better than sweltering heat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Weeding is good after the rain. Hope the weather cools down for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'm envious of your cooler weather. i have grown weary of texas summers...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah lucky you, rain and cool weather. Your garden must love God's water. I know mine prefers it to the hose. Don't ya love how weeds ease out of the ground when it is wet?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lol sun breaks! We have those too Djan. Today it is raining, but that's ok because the peas are plumping up nicely.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.