Thursday, August 29, 2024

Remembering Watson Lakes


Watson Lakes 2018

I like the fact that I can peruse my pictures and remember my last visit to Watson Lakes, where the Senior Trailblazers are going today. I'm pretty sure I could have done them once again, since it's much cooler today than back when I last hiked up to these beautiful lakes. The long drive and the recollection of lots of bugs made me decide not to go, instead deciding to make a nice local six-mile solo stroll. 

It was cold last night, but this morning dawned clear and beautiful. My friend Steve is returning today from his trip to Hawaii, and I'm hoping I'll see him on Saturday, the beginning of a perfect Labor Day weekend in our part of the country. I read that a few places around the country are getting their hottest and most humid weather of the summer. I, however, am so glad that we were spared the severe weather during most of our summer months. We still have September, when it sometimes does get hot, but mostly it's been mild and delightful.

When you hike to Watson Lakes, there is a turnoff that takes you up to Anderson Butte, which I am sure the group will do today. It gives you a fabulous view of Mt Baker, as you can see here.

Melanie in front of Mt Baker

When I remember the most about this spot was the incredible number of mosquitoes that lurked in the trees and waited until they spied a juicy spot on exposed skin. It was probably one of the buggier places I've visited over the years, but as you can see, the views were amazing. I miss my dear friend Melanie and wish she hadn't moved to Oregon!

Looking back at the many beautiful places I've seen, I realize my good fortune in having chosen the Pacific Northwest for our retirement years. Now that I have all these wonderful memories and pictures, I am feeling quite content to be here in my easy chair, hoping that the Trailblazers are having a wonderful day.

The other day, on our way to Whidbey Island, we chatted about where many of us lived before moving here. It made me realize how many different lives I've lived during my decades of life: mother, wife (with a few different husbands before I met my life partner), secretary, homemaker, professional editor and blogger, not to forget the decades I spent skydiving. When I think of how much things have changed and morphed from one life experience to the next, I cannot help but feel enormous gratitude for all I have been given. 

And now I am reaping the benefits, relaxing in my easy chair and pondering whether I should have a cold beer or a nice glass of wine. Whatever I decide, it will be joined by contentment and a happy smile.

:-)

9 comments:

  1. I just made it to my recliner. I was going to go in the garage and do a work out on the bike but it is now already 3:45 and my legs are saying "No way!" Instead I'll read and respond to blogs, work Wordle, maybe read, and just take it easy. I'll wave to you from my chair to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a fantastic photo of Melanie. Great memories, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes the happiest choice is to stay home. I walk by myself on my own pace rather than hold up a group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If the mosquitoes were that memorable, not a bad idea to walk near home and have a bug-free day. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. With all the stresses and worries that can surround us, it is good to read a post full of contentment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your precious memories. Enjoy your beer (or wine).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your words, "It was cold last night" surprised me, DJan. The thought of it being cold still seems far away. Not that I like the cold, I don't... but relief from the August heat is welcome. Staying home in your chair with a glass of beer or wine 'on occasion' seems to be a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good you are happy. No thanks to mosquitoes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A six mile walk around town!! You rock!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.