Thursday, August 1, 2024

Chain Lakes

Snow still around Artist Point today

You can see the still remaining snow fields at Artist Point today. Sixteen Senior Trailblazers took the long drive from Bellingham to the terminus of the Mt Baker Highway, to begin our hike from Artist Point down to Heather Meadows. The way our leader, Joe, arranged it was to get all of us up to Artist Point and then get two drivers to head back down to leave cars so that we could all skip the steep Wild Goose trail. While the cars were being exchanged, the first group of eight began our descent on the Chain Lakes trail.

Beautiful Mt Baker from the Artist Point trail

As you can see from these pictures, it was sunny, no clouds at all in the sky, and it began to get really hot as we hiked to the junction. One way takes you to Ptarmigan Ridge, and the other down to Chain Lakes. We got to Iceberg Lake before noon, and stopped to have a lunch break. The other group arrived while we were busy enjoying our lunch.
Iceberg Lake, still with some snow fields

It was a beautiful day, filled with plenty of conversations and camaraderie as we navigated the trail. First it was level, then some downhill, and then when we got to the lake, we began an uphill climb up to Hermann Saddle. 

I've taken this shot before, but this is today

As we began our ascent to Hermann Saddle, the sun got more and more intense, and I had to stop often to replenish my oxygen reserves, and keep going uphill. The beautiful day could have been ten or twenty degrees cooler for me, but I managed (with help).

Me and Mt Shuksan

I really thought by the time we began the final stretch that it would be easy, but it was anything but. I had to take careful steps on the endless stretches of rock, and realized that I had chosen the wrong shoes: I needed my hiking boots but left them behind, instead opting for more comfort, which turned out to be incorrect. I needed stability.

My two heroes

By the time we reached the final stretch, I began to flag. My energy slipped away and I had to stop often to catch my breath and gather my strength. I was saved by this couple, from the Bay Area in California, who saw I needed some help and gave me lots of water and encouragement as I finished the final miles of this hike. It turned out to be around six miles or so, in hot conditions, and once I reached the Visitor Center, my driver was already there with a cool car and a place to rest as we drove home. 

And now I am home much later than normal, but happy to be well showered, well beered, and ready to hit the sack and dream of beautiful mountains to come. 

:-)

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like, as you said, you hiking in the hot weather isn't working too well this year. But many thanks to the wonderful couple who looked out for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A big thank you to your heroes. Hiking in the heat sounds vile - particularly with those cool views (literally and metaphorically) to tempt you. Six miles in those conditions is impressive. Take a bow - and sleep well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you did sleep well after your hike. Beautiful views... and sounds like good companionship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are doing so well to keep at it like oyu do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a tough challenge. In other conditions you would have done quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun to see the snow in the mountains in July/August! Glad you had people to help you along the way. Sounds like you really pushed yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heat is sneaky. I'm grateful for your rescuers. Enjoy your well earned rest and thanks for the gorgeous photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like quite a climb and in the heat. You did better than I would do, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As I read this I just kept thinling of how how it must have been. I really can't handle heat anymore. Good for you for sticking it out, even with help.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.