Thursday, August 8, 2024

Tuesday hike, solo walk today

Hikers at Cherry Point Beach

 You may have noticed that I didn't (again) post anything on Tuesday, not because we didn't hike, but it was a packed-to-the-brim day, and I didn't get home until late. No time to do anything but collapse. On Tuesday, we had 23 Senior Trailblazers show up for a forest walk and then one at Cherry Point Beach. The entire Ferndale Cherry Point area is owned by the BP oil refinery, and our leader John introduced us to two of his favorite walks in this area. A total of five miles, no elevation to speak of, but very pleasant, with a view of the San Juan islands. John is pointing out an island in the above picture.

After the hike, I had signed up to volunteer at the Senior Center to help pack lunches for Senior Day in the Park, which was held yesterday, Wednesday. As part of an assembly line, we packed 1,500 lunches in just under three hours, and boy was that tiring! Much more so than the hike, but then I realized I had taken the bus earlier in the day, so I needed to get to the bus station (a few blocks away) and then walk the half-mile home. So, no post. Just a cold beer and a little dinner.

After last week's hard hike, which didn't go so well for me in the heat and humidity, I decided early on not to even try to hike today. Instead, after a nice morning coffee and conversation with my friend Steve, I walked to Fairhaven and back on the South Bay trail, by myself. The temperature was just right early in the morning, and now in the afternoon it's gotten warm again. I was very happy to come home and visit with my sweet partner and then park the old bod in my easy chair. I felt only a little wistfulness that I was unable to join my friends today. Getting old is nowhere near as hard as I imagined.

Last Monday, I had my third eye jab, and it was not fun at all. I again endured it and was pleased to learn that I have had no change (no worsening of vision) since the last shot. I can only hope that this will keep me being able to see and read for a while longer. These shots are really difficult, but a year ago they didn't even have a treatment for dry macular degeneration, and now we have this. I asked the doctor what he thinks, but he was noncommittal about the future. He says that since it is so new, nobody knows how much cumulative shots might help. So I will continue to endure them for as long as I can.

Our temperature has moderated somewhat, but I'll bet it's still quite hot at altitude, and knowing that I made the right decision for today makes me feel happy and, if not contented exactly, at least reconciled to my solo walk. We are past the halfway point to the fall equinox, and I do notice the days are shorter, even if the heat is still feeling a little like August. Oh wait, it IS August!

:-)

10 comments:

  1. DJan, You have a wonderful way with words. “I was very happy to come home and visit with my sweet partner and then park the old bod in my easy chair.” That could be me most any day. 😊 John

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear your eye is not worsening for now, and that you are listening to your body and backing off of some of the more rigorous hikes. I guess getting old isn't so hard once we accept it's limitations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're finding 'getting old is nowhere near as hard as you expected.'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad your eye is the same!
    The heat is draining when you're not hiking! I'm glad you took it easier and went in the early morning before it got hotter. Smart lady! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad that you are looking after your precious and important self. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad to hear there is no change in your eyesight though the needle doesn’t sound pleasant! That was quite the undertaking to pack all of those lunches but it sounds like a great event. Your solo walk sounds lovely too. Have a great day, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are still doing a lot, just picking and choosing a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a productive Tuesday. Best wishes for your eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You seem to be able to find joy in the simple things... not always the same as in the past, but still good. Those eye jabs sound awful, but give you hope - and that's important.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you had a good week! It cooled off here and is Fall like:)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.