Tuesday, August 20, 2024

New connector trail

Starting the new connector trail

Today, fifteen Senior Trailblazers of the Happy Wanderer variety explored the new trail that now connects two of our favorite hikes, the Chanterelle trail and the Hertz trail. (Apologies to our  leader, Persis, for catching her with her eyes closed.) The entire loop is longer than I think I can handle, 11 miles, but this trail goes from our beloved Hertz trail along the north shore of Lake Whatcom for two miles, before heading up to the new Lake Whatcom overlook, with many new steps on the new trail and a climb of a thousand feet before getting to the new overlook.

Pretty "shelf" mushrooms, one we called the Hat

Although the trail is rather steep, it's only a mile long before reaching the overlook. On the way, we have to climb more than 300 steps to get there. (We counted 325, 338, and 340, depending on who was counting.)

The beginning of the steps

Helpful signage

Once we got to the top of the stairs, we saw this sign that Persis told us would take us to the overlook. You can see how far it is from this spot to any other destinations. We just had a bit more hiking to get to it. And here it is!

A new view of the lake

It is a beautiful spot, and we were so fortunate to have a view, since it had been cloudy and cool all the way up here. And it not only has a nice fence to lean on, but also has two lovely, sturdy benches to sit on and gaze at the view and eat our lunch.

Nice indeed

And then it was time for us to retrace our steps and get back to the Hertz trail. It was a simply perfect day, cool and the rain stayed away until we were back at our cars.

Going back down 

I was a little afraid that the stairs might be harder to navigate going down than up, but I was very happy to use my trekking poles as a substitute for a railing. This is a place I think I'll be visiting often, and at some point I might even try to make the entire loop. Listening to those who have done it, the easiest way is to take the Chanterelle up the five miles to the connector trail, which then goes down to the overlook and eventually to the Hertz trail. The entire day's exertion covered six miles and a thousand feet of elevation up and down. I'm feeling pretty good right now, sitting in my easy chair and realizing I have drunk all my beer and will either have to struggle out the door or just wait for tomorrow. I'm feeling rooted to the spot at the moment.

:-)

10 comments:

  1. Fun to add something new to one of your favorite hikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thrilled for you that you have a new trail (and beautiful one) to enjoy. Congratulations on managing all those stairs - which I could not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice mushrooms! That is a bunch of stairs to navigate, glad you did okay:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steps? In one way it's easier to go up, but they can also be harder on knees and legs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These photos are beautiful. Oh how I wish I could walk one of those trails one day! The scenery in the mountains is spectacular. Well done, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous scenery and looks to be perfect weather, too. Not too hot, not too cold. Love that your leader does so in a skirt. I have a young friend who for one whole year wore the same dress everywhere, even when she went hiking. I couldn't imagine hiking in a skirt, but I know it is done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you had a good outing - beautiful and without any problems. I wonder if 'steps' are easier or harder when hiking?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The view looks to be worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on making it up all those stairs! Wow!
    Pretty view up top. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a nice hike. Love the scenery.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.